Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 5:19:18 AM EDT
I'm building a workbench this weekend.

What is the minimum size of vise I should get to work on my ARs?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Most people seem to use a 5" or 6".  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:21:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I use two 6" heavy duty C-clamps but I'm a WECSOG graduate...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!  6" vise it is.

Looks like I'll be checking out the hardware stores this weekend.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#4]
What are you building?  If you want to build a FnFal you will need more then "just" a 6-inch vise as timing or disassembly or a FAL will break an average 6-inch cast vise...  Ask me how I know...

If you are doing most anything else...  then the cheap 6-inch will do you fine...

Alos, if you want to build a FAL that bench will need to be RUGED in a big way!  Mine is made out of 2x6s running around the outside with an extra down the middle of the bench, 4x4 posts, and a heavy shelf half way down under the top.  The top was mad out of 3/4-inc plywood and my bench on the back wall is lagged to a stud wall.

When I was building my FAL we lifted the bench off the floor to get that barrel off the stub....!!!

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks!  6" vise it is.

Last I checked, Lowes carries Wilton vices.  Good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What are you building?  

Strictly ARs and any home projects the wife assigns..
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks!  6" vise it is.

Last I checked, Lowes carries Wilton vices.  Good stuff.

Hmmm..  I was at Lowes last week, and I see they sell a line of vises called Kobalt?

I'll check Lowes tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:41:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What are you building?  If you want to build a FnFal you will need more then "just" a 6-inch vise as timing or disassembly or a FAL will break an average 6-inch cast vise...  Ask me how I know...

If you are doing most anything else...  then the cheap 6-inch will do you fine...

Alos, if you want to build a FAL that bench will need to be RUGED in a big way!  Mine is made out of 2x6s running around the outside with an extra down the middle of the bench, 4x4 posts, and a heavy shelf half way down under the top.  The top was mad out of 3/4-inc plywood and my bench on the back wall is lagged to a stud wall.

When I was building my FAL we lifted the bench off the floor to get that barrel off the stub....!!!

A fantastic bench top is a solid core door.  get one "virgin", i.e. undrilled for hinges/knob.  They're alittle on the spendy side (I think it was something like $40 at Lowes a few years ago) but it's big, it's solid, it's thick, and it comes with a pretty dang good finished surface.  I also put a couple coats of polyurethane stain to seal the grain and minimize oils from getting under the surface layer.

Other than that my bench (4x4 legs, heavy shelf out of 3/4 ply) is the same as Quarterbore's.

One other thing;  if you're smart you'll build the bench in such a manner that you can take it apart.  I used 1/2" carriage bolts to lock down the top and hold the leg/shelf "frames" together;  when moving time comes I'll just unbolt everything and it'll move a lot easier.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top