Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2005 6:40:59 AM EDT
I bought my first AR a month or so ago.  It was a post-ban rifle that I am gradually changing to no-ban.  I'm looking at adding a railed handguard and have posted a topic on that already.  I was thinking of going with the YHM 2 piece but I want to get rid of the mini-Y comp I have.  It's damn loud and would prefer a FH.  It's mainly a plinking rifle.  I would like to find a barrel with the front sight base moved forward further so I can affix a bayonet.  I don't feel the need to stab anything but asthetics are kinda neat.  I'm looking at another M4 barrel probably.  I see Bushmaster has the dissipator version so I could add longer handguards and make use of the bayo lug.  I would most likely send in my upper to have the free-float guards put on along with the new barrel.

What's your opinion/ideas?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I would cut the Y comp off, screw on a Phantom, silver solder it, and be done with it.  If the barrel was 16", I would do the same but forget the silver solder part.

If you are set on wanting a bayonet, buy a new barrel, and sell your old one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#2]

I would cut the Y comp off, screw on a Phantom, silver solder it, and be done with it. If the barrel was 16", I would do the same but forget the silver solder part.

I was considering sending my upper to Bushmaster and have them add the Phantom.  I want to add a railed hand guard and figured I might as well take the brake off at the same time.  Thing is I've heard to go with Daniel Defense or Larue which Busy I'm pretty sure doesn't carry.  Where's a good place to send it to get the FH and rail installed?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#3]
You won't get a bayonet lug that way, which is one of the things I thought you wanted....
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Weasel-

As stickman mentioned, you will not get a bayonet lug by swapping out the muzzle device and handguard, so still no bayonet.
You can't (easily) change out the front sight base, each one is mated to a specific barrel and they live together for the life of the parts.
If you just want a flash hider attached and a freefloat handguard installed, I can handle all that.
Prices here: shop services

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Where's a good place to send it to get the FH and rail installed?

I've had some work done at Kurts Kustom Firearms I'd check and see if he has a back log on work though. Kurt's in FL BTW.

I've also heard that ADCO also does this kind of work and he's in NW Ohio.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top