Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2005 10:47:37 AM EDT
I am in the process of building an SBR using a Bushmaster lower and a CMMG 10.3" upper. My question is in regards to the ATF's Form 1. What goes in the box marked "d. Model"? Also I was told that I would have to have my name and address engraved on the rifle, is this true or not? If it is true regarding the name and address, do I have to mark that in the box "Additional Description" on the Form 1? Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just the paperwork to be correct. thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
In the box marked "Model" you put whatever designation the manufacturer gave your lower (ie: XM15E2s or AR15 or in my case M.F.R or whatever the manufacturer called it).  Yes you will have to engrave your name, city, & state (not full address) unless your transfer was done under a Corporation.  In that case you will have to engrave the Corp name, city, state.  You can abreviate your first name (ie: A. Lincoln, Washington, DC) Details on letter size and depth can be found in the SBR FAQ.  Leave the box marked "Additional Description" blank unless the original manufacturer of the lower had additional markings other than the model, caliber, company name & address.

Hope this helps,
MadDog
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks MadDog...I appreciate it!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The answer I got from the ATFE is that you CANNOT abbreviate your name.  John Smith is OK, John A. Smith is OK, John Alexander Smith is OK, but J.A.S.,  J. A. Smith, or J. Smith is NOT allowed.
While the letter I got about this is in the form of an e-mail I would still be very careful about abbreviating your name.  I was also told city was not allowed to be abbreviated unless the city's abbreviation would be known nationwide, like N.Y., N.Y. or L.A., CA, but J'town for Jeffersontown would not be allowed because someone outside the area would have no idea what J'town meant.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
They certainly do not make it easy....huh? Thanks Big-Bore. How long did it take to get your paperwork back? I have heard as long as 6 months.......
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The answer I got from the ATFE is that you CANNOT abbreviate your name.  John Smith is OK, John A. Smith is OK, John Alexander Smith is OK, but J.A.S.,  J. A. Smith, or J. Smith is NOT allowed.While the letter I got about this is in the form of an e-mail I would still be very careful about abbreviating your name.  I was also told city was not allowed to be abbreviated unless the city's abbreviation would be known nationwide, like N.Y., N.Y. or L.A., CA, but J'town for Jeffersontown would not be allowed because someone outside the area would have no idea what J'town meant.  

WHAT?!?
That's just retarded.

I'd like to see the ATF release on that info...?
Everyday I get less and less enthused about SBR'ing my AR
But, I guess that's exactly what they want.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top