Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2005 3:15:59 AM EDT
I would like to know if replacing the "collapseable" stock with a actual one will work? Or is it FIXED in the gun? The one i have is a fake one...you know what im talking about!

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:01:30 AM EDT
[#1]
HERE is instructions on installing a collapsable stock (Link toward the bottom).  It is not FIXED to the lower receiver.  You may need to add a little heat if the castle nut has been lock tighted.  IMO, it is best to use the wrench shown in step 5 so you don't booger up anything.

The first few steps is instructions on how to remove the A2 stock.  You can skip those and just reverse the ones on installing the collapsible stock.  Hope this helps out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Its a pretty easy process, but the correct wrench will make it even easier for you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:20:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!

Now my next ? is...

see pic...

Is there any hope for a A2? Im scared to take it off and see how ugly it is unless I know it can be replaced with a "actual" hidder... Thanks again...I'm a uber noob and your knowlage has helped me so much!!!!

after getting this far on my stock i came to this...

i was thinking that a little electric take and some pliers but what do you think?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#4]
See the setscrews on the side of your compensator?
That means that there are probably no threads there.
You can send it to a gunsmith to thread the muzzle.
I happen to specialize in such work.

www.ar15barrels.com/services.shtml

As for removing the stock, you really need a proper wrench.
Don't bother with pliers.
This car stock spanner wrench would work fine.
or get an armorer's wrench that will do almost everything on an AR.

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:16:30 AM EDT
[#5]
let me see what the local gun shop will do otherwise ill hook you up..

I IMed you but you have a no im setup...

thanks for all your help!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#6]
After looking at your pic, you do need the wrench that Randall_Rausch linked.  The wrenc in the link I provided will not work with what you have.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:13:16 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks guys...

I ordered a tac stock, pahntom flash sup, multi tool and a couple other things!!!!

i will post pics later when its done!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:39:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you forcing the buffer tube off?  See the threads?  There is a little indexing tab in the back plate that is chewing them up.

You first back off the castle nut,  that round cylindrical thing with the round holes.  You need the proper spanner wrench.

Read the link supplied before you damage anything else, and THEN remove the stock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:58:12 AM EDT
[#9]
no, i havent even tried taking anything off yet.

The stock is made like that, thats the way it came. BUT it does have enough threading to undo it then it slides over the "flat threads".

I think they made it like that to scare people into not takeing it off due to the prior ban.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:16:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like an Oly barrel with that brake.   They have a stepped back area the set screws go into.   I'm not sure if it's cut too far to thread, Randall_Rausch would definitely be the guy to work with on that.    

OR

You could sell your barrel on the EE and buy another one with an evil bayonet lug already on there, get a midlength and you'll actually be able to use that evil bayo!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]
never thought of that thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:14:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for your help again everyone....

MY RRA IS HERE!!!!!

I had to post pics im so excited!!!!!!

I gained about an inch in length and also lost about 3 depending on where i like it!

Thanks to your help i also bought a DPMS multi tool to take that old nasty post ban stock off...

If anyone is asking, its not for sale unless you want a stripped out one...

I seemed to have stripped the nut when loosening it.

All in all it was my first hands on project and it was fun for the noob! took me about 5-10 mins.

My next stop is the gun shop for a $$$ on getting my barrel threaded for my new PHANTOM!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
All in all it was my first hands on project and it was fun for the noob! took me about 5-10 mins.

My next stop is the gun shop for a $$$ on getting my barrel threaded for my new PHANTOM!!!!!

Looking much nicer!  Good work!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks and feel much nicer does it?

Check around and see how much the barrel threading runs, I think you will find wild prices mixed in with some decent ones.  If you can drive it to someone, you will save shipping charges, which obviously won't be friendly on an upper (at least compared to a local drive).  ADCO charges $60 (plus shipping), so use that as a baseline. ADCO is probably one of the cheapest places around doing it that I've heard of.  Randall also mentioned that he does this as well, so its obviously worth a call or email to him.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Check around and see how much the barrel threading runs, <much snippage> ADCO charges $60 (plus shipping), so use that as a baseline.  Randall also mentioned that he does this as well, so its obviously worth a call or email to him.

I charge $30 to thread and $10 return shipping as long as the barrel is removed from the upper.
The difference is that ADCO can thread without removing the barrel.
I have not made up the fixture for that yet.

Shop Services

Since we know he has the armor's wrench, he can remove the barrel now.
Just need to learn about the "Butt Clamp" setup to hold the receiver...
The question then becomes: "Is $30 savings worth 15 minutes of work to you?"

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I dont quite know yet... i work nights so its hard for me to get on and converse...

My local shop can do it for $75 including the flash hidder installed.

Still undecided on what to do but i still have you in mind Randall

thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#17]
It really depends on what flash hider is included for $75.
If it's a $5 A2 comp or a $30 phantom, there's a big difference.
I have all the common stuff available: A2 comps, Phantoms in regular and 5C1, vortexes and then Miculek, JP Bennie Coolie and MSTN QC comps.
My turn-around time on threading is 1 weekend, but then you have to add a few days to get here and a few days to get back.

Randall
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top