Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2005 12:25:22 PM EDT
I am having trouble removing the flash suppressor on my RRA.. Does anyone know besides being held in place with torque and crush\peel washer how much force i need to remove it?

I am wondering if there is any locktite involved then I would have to heat it up but I am concerned about excessive pressure on the FS could put too much pressure on the barre\reciever connection..
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as the barrel is over 16", we can rule out that it is permanently attached. Torque specs call for 25-30#, so it shouldn't be too hard to loosen if supported properly. If you don't have access to an action block or barrel blocks, try sitting on the rifle and loosening the flash suppressor that way. Hey, don't laugh, it works.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#2]
so you dont think there is any locktite?....thanks...then i wont have to heat it up.

By the way....can you reuse a peel\crush washer or a new one be used?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure it is actually threaded on?
Some of them were pressed on to straight knurls.

The easiest way is to machine away enough of the muzzle device until it falls off.
It will be glaringly obvious once you have the muzzle device off.
I have never seen factory loctited muzzle devices.

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
so you dont think there is any locktite?....thanks...then i wont have to heat it up.

By the way....can you reuse a peel\crush washer or a new one be used?

Peel washers can be reused, but I've read that it is recommended that you replace a crush washer each time the flash suppressor is removed.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top