Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2005 7:29:25 PM EDT
Ok, what is a barrel extension and is it needed on a barrel, does it normally come standard on a barrel when you buy it?

How easy really is it for those who have installed your own barrel. I saw the thumbtacked thread and it made it look a sinch...but honestly...too good to be true?

And thirdly once barrel is installed is the bolt kit drop in? Do i not need to worry about headspacing?

edit sorry haha for the misspellinnggss
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Ok, what is a barrel extension and is it needed on a barrel, does it normally come standard on a barrel when you buy it?

How easy really is it for those who have installed your own barrel. I saw the thumbtacked thread and it made it look a sinch...but honestly...too good to be true?

And thirdly once barrel is installed is the bolt kit drop it? Do i not need to worry about headspacing?

Yes, Yes, Fairly easy if you have the right tools, What?, sometimes, it depends if your using new or used parts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:14:23 AM EDT
[#2]
The barrel extention is at the chamber end of the barrel, it is the portion that has the locking lugs and comes already installed on a barrel when you buy it.

Installing a barrel is just as easy as it looks, just be sure to use the right tools.

Once the barrel is installed headspacing should be correct, but you should always check it with a set of go-nogo chamber gauges to be sure. There is always a slight chance that the headspacing was improperly set at the factory.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:42:28 AM EDT
[#3]
The barrel extension already comes torqued to the barrel from the factory. And barrel swapping isn't difficult -- it should take well under half an hour to do it.

Tools you'll need:

Action block
Vise
Armorer's wrench
1/16" roll pin punch
Small hammer
Snap-ring pliers (only if your new barrel doesn't have the delta ring installed already)
Moly lube

To put it in simple terms: you remove the gas tube, unscrew the old barrel nut and remove old barrel, put new barrel on and tighten barrel nut, and install gas tube.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top