Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2005 3:23:53 PM EDT
Well I got all of my parts in today for my M16A1 clone rifle. This is a copy of the M16A1 I carried in the Army.

My rendition of a M16A1;
LAR/Martin Marietta M16A1 upper
Colt M16A1 20" pencil barrel with A1 flash hider
M16A1 furniture
Stag lower with Stag LPK
I have wanted one of these for years and it was worth the wait.
Phessor

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]
That's just beautiful! Congrats!

I built an M16-clone earlier this year. I really had hoped it would be an M16a1 kit, but wasn't. oh well. Cause to build another rifle now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it, and I'm pretty sure I need one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Perfect.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Perfect.

Thanks Lumpy, that means a lot coming from you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Very Nice!  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Perfect.

As Lumpy described: PERFECT!  This rifle has class!

I have Colt XM16 E1 in the Philippines and it looks the same (except for scratches and finish wear due to its age).  I also bought round handguards for it.  No frills.  Just a fine rifle and it works.By the way, do you have the website for LAR/Martin Marietta?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Well done and quite inspiring.
Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:05:57 AM EDT
[#8]
great looking build job well done congrats
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Good Job.  Makes me want to build one for my dad (Vietnam Vet).  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:14:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Beautiful weapon Iam working on one myself!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Sweet!

If I build another AR, this type will be the one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you all for the complements. I guess I should include the other two I built before this one.
Phessor

Colt/Martin Marietta M16A1 upper
16" chrome lined light weight barrel
CAR buttstock
modified A2 grip to look like A1 grip
(Armalite slip ring and A1 flash hider have been added)
Stag lower with Stag LPK

Colt/Harvey M16A1 upper
DPMS 11.5" barrel with 5.5" flash hider
Armalite slip ring
Bushmaster aluminum CAR buttstock
Stag lower with Stag LPK
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Again, nice, classic rifles (or carbines).  They look similar to the carbines issued to the Philippine Air Force manufactured by ELISCO TOOL (which is actually made by Colt, but with a different name and assembed in Bataan).

Do you, have by any chance the website for LAR/Martin Marietta?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

No I don't, sorry.
Phessor
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:51:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice rifles.

Max
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No I don't, sorry.
Phessor

Martin Marietta may have a web site, but you damn well won't find any AR15/M16 uppers on it. The upper in the pic is a military surplus piece, made during the 1970s, and Martin Marietta produced the raw forging, not the upper.

The closest you're going to get to a newly produced A1 upper is the C7 copy sold by Bushmaster and DPMS; but they have the ejection hump behind the ejection port.  Member Colt 653, in his new position as operating honcho at  American Spirit Arms, keeps promising to bring out newly produced copies of the A1 upper and lower recievers, but they're not out yet.

Which brings mr to my next point.  While I'm happy that Phessor is pleased w/his project's outcome, it's not exactly a copy of the M16A1 he had in the service;  not when it's sporting an A2 type lower reciever.

When (if?) Colt 653 gets his A1 lowers out on the market, and Phessor opts to put one of them under his A1 upper assy, THEN he'll have a copy of his old M16A1.  Or. he can do what I did; and cut, file, grind, polish, etc,etc, off the A2 rib at the rear, reshape the front lugs, and refinish the whole thing, and then he'll have his A1 copy.  I don't recommend that solution though.  It's a bitch of a job, and if I'd known how hard, and time consuming it was going to be, I'd have never started it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No I don't, sorry.
Phessor

Which brings mr to my next point.  While I'm happy that Phessor is pleased w/his project's outcome, it's not exactly a copy of the M16A1 he had in the service;  not when it's sporting an A2 type lower reciever.

When (if?) Colt 653 gets his A1 lowers out on the market, and Phessor opts to put one of them under his A1 upper assy, THEN he'll have a copy of his old M16A1.  Or. he can do what I did; and cut, file, grind, polish, etc,etc, off the A2 rib at the rear, reshape the front lugs, and refinish the whole thing, and then he'll have his A1 copy.  I don't recommend that solution though.  It's a bitch of a job, and if I'd known how hard, and time consuming it was going to be, I'd have never started it.

Apples and oranges baby!
This is as close as you can get without having one of of the above mentioned lowers. Which by the way one is out of reach with my check book and the other is still in limbo.
Phessor
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Outstanding!
Nice rilfes!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I built one on a dpms lower for my wife. She carried one in desert storm.  I had to use an A2 ejection port door to prevent her from goudging the lower and bending the edge of the origional door . It functions fine.  Also Colt wasnt the only one that made lowers G.M. Hydra Matic and H&R made them and lets not forget Matell.  Some rifles were configured with the newer reciver and A1 everything else. My Wife said that when she was in basic in Ft. Jackson they were still using the A1 and they had the option of the A1 or A2 handguards whichever they felt more comfortable with. My point is that it isnt beneath the Army to use a part on a weapon that you may not think should be on a particular model.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:26:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I built one on a dpms lower for my wife. She carried one in desert storm.  I had to use an A2 ejection port door to prevent her from goudging the lower and bending the edge of the origional door . It functions fine.  Also Colt wasnt the only one that made lowers G.M. Hydra Matic and H&R made them and lets not forget Matell.  Some rifles were configured with the newer reciver and A1 everything else. My Wife said that when she was in basic in Ft. Jackson they were still using the A1 and they had the option of the A1 or A2 handguards whichever they felt more comfortable with. My point is that it isnt beneath the Army to use a part on a weapon that you may not think should be on a particular model.

Most defiantly.

Their only concern is having enough usable weapons on hand. Not whether collectors down the road will debate whether part xxx is "correct" for that particular model of rifle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:49:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice guns!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I am a Ford guy so it killed me to have to carry a pile of chevy in basic

I have also replaced the port door from an A2.
Phessor
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I really need an early ejection port cover next......

Look! Twins!

Yours:

Mine:

Maybe we're related?

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am a Ford guy so it killed me to have to carry a pile of chevy in basic
I have also replaced the port door from an A2.
Phessor

While there are plenty of M16s still in active service w/mixed A1/A2 pieces, the only "mix" I've ever seen or heard of was rebuilding A1 lowers with A2 uppers and stocks; not the other way round.  Which is precisely why us civies are able to find the A1 upper stuff on the market at decent prices these days.

And yes, my A1 clone has an A2 port cover also. Also an A2 front sight post

The early M16 slab side upper piece is sitting on a current model Bushie lower, so take it easy on
me guys. Wasn't being any more critical of the rifle discussed than I am of my own piece.  I'm not going to go thru the hassle of redoing another lower, and am anxiously waiting, and hoping, for the lowers Colt 653 promised to hit the market.  Til then, it hurts my eyes a little to see the late lower on an essentially new early upper----and that's all I was trying to say
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Beautiful weapon Iam working on one myself!!!

+1

Pencil barrel 1-in-12? Oh yeah, my upper is slickside.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Beautiful Job!

I'll be showing off mine as soon as I can find a nice enough M16A1 upper to put my A1 barrel on.

Danny
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top