Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 3:02:06 PM EDT
Okay, so I decided that I'd dremel off my perm attatched A2 FS for a prantom. The problem is that I cant seem to find the pins.

This is a 14.5" LMT that I got from Legal-Transfers if it makes any difference. Can anyone tell me if this is silver soldered or pinned?

If it is pinned how do I know where it is pinned?

If it's soldered what is the best method to take it off? Propane torch? Mapp Gas?

TIA
jM
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at the bottom of this thread it might help some.

Assembly...Step by Step Instructions tacked thread link
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Okay, so I decided that I'd dremel off my perm attatched A2 FS for a prantom. The problem is that I cant seem to find the pins.

This is a 14.5" LMT that I got from Legal-Transfers if it makes any difference. Can anyone tell me if this is silver soldered or pinned?

If it is pinned how do I know where it is pinned?

If it's soldered what is the best method to take it off? Propane torch? Mapp Gas?

TIA
jM

Just out of curiousity, how does a 14.5" barrel + an A2 FH make 16 inches?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It doesn't.

And therin lies the problem.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't.

And therin lies the problem.

<--slaps forehead, walks away.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's properly done, you need MAPP or oxy/acetylene to melt the silver solder.  Heat it up cherry red and twist it off.

I went through this pain twice, then realized that anything permanently attached doesn't gain you anything.  YMMV.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen silver solder melted with propane torches easily.  I'd just heat that bitch up and wait for it to sweat before letting loose on it.  

Just my $.02
Keep in mind I'm a total moron.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:00:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've seen silver solder melted with propane torches easily.  I'd just heat that bitch up and wait for it to sweat before letting loose on it.  

Just my $.02
Keep in mind I'm a total moron.

There are different types of silver solder with different melting temps.  The ATF requires stuff that melts at 1100F or  higher and propane doens't get there.  If it melts with propane, consider youself lucky you didn't get caught with it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help guys, I got it off.

I should be getting my phantom in on Monday. I think I'll try to put it one the same way the A2 was.

I got a MAPP torch and and some nickel/silver flux coated brazing rods. The package lists the working temp as 1250-1750 degrees.
My understanding is that these should be sufficient for "perm" attatcheing the new FS.

Is this correct or is there something else I should use?

I'm totally stoked, I'm one RCH away from having this bastard legal so I can finally mount it up to a lower and get some range time in.

Thanks again guys.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The ATF requires stuff that melts at 1100F or  higher and propane doens't get there.  If it melts with propane, consider youself lucky you didn't get caught with it.

I learned something new.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Getting muzzle devices and barrels up to 1200 degrees to flow the proper silver solder wreaks havoc on any heat treating/annealing and stress relieving that had been done in the past.

For this reason, I prefer to pin and then QUICKLY tack weld over the top of the pin.
Then I machine down the weld to blend it into the muzzle device and re-finish the affected area.

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Why would anyone perm attach an A2 to a 14.5 barrel?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why would anyone perm attach an A2 to a 14.5 barrel?

To have the absolute shortest legal configured barrel.

You need to add 2 or 3 crush washers to get to 16" long with an A2 comp, but it can be done.
14.5" barrels with permenant phantoms end up being around 16.5".
The missing piece of the puzzle here is that most barrels are actually 1/4" to 1/2" longer than advertised.

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The missing piece of the puzzle here is that most barrels are actually 1/4" to 1/2" longer than advertised.

This has been my experience as well, but after trashing in excess of $100 worth of FHs trying to get them off (for myself and others), I decided the permanently attached anything just is a major PITA if disassembly ever comes to be needed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
<snip> after trashing in excess of $100 worth of FHs trying to get them off (for myself and others), I decided the permanently attached anything just is a major PITA if disassembly ever comes to be needed.

Just because you CAN take stuff apart, that does not mean that you NEED to.
Permanent is meant to be just that!

Randall
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip> after trashing in excess of $100 worth of FHs trying to get them off (for myself and others), I decided the permanently attached anything just is a major PITA if disassembly ever comes to be needed.

Just because you CAN take stuff apart, that does not mean that you NEED to.
Permenant is meant to be just that!

Randall

Ya, but when somebody wants this FH trinket over that one, or installs some damn muzzle brake on something, it's gotta go.  It breaks my heart sometimes to trash them, but often times, there's no other way.

It is the ARFCOM way.  Keep up with the Jones's.  I made it easy on myself and got rid of all my less than 16" setups.  That extra inch doesn't interfere with me getting from the couch to the fridge, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't mind perm attatching it, because I have no intention of taking it off.

This is my first ar variant, and I plan on keeping it pretty bare bones. I wanted a 14.5" profile so thats what I got, I just need it to be legal now.

I hope I didn't fuck the barrel up with the torch though, I tried to keep the tip of the flame on the suppresor. The crown, bore, rifling look ok, but I guess I won't know till I get some range time.

Thanks for your help guys
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Call me stupid (which somebody will), but has the rule changed about having threaded barrels with out the perm. attached accessory. I thought the reason people got the perm. attached FS or comps. was to make there riffle legal. For length and for the threaded barrel BS.
Have I missed out on some part of the ban expiration? I know this is slightly off topic, sorry
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:03:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Call me stupid (which somebody will), but has the rule changed about having threaded barrels with out the perm. attached accessory. I thought the reason people got the perm. attached FS or comps. was to make there riffle legal. For length and for the threaded barrel BS.
Have I missed out on some part of the ban expiration? I know this is slightly off topic, sorry

During the ban, any postban equipment with a threaded barrel had to have a permanently attached muzzle brake.  Since the ban is gone, the only reason to permanently attach anything is for length requirements only.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top