Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2005 6:58:14 PM EDT
I decided to build my first AR and have some fun.  I bought stripped RRA Lower and installed RRA Lower Kit, 6 pos. adjustable stock.  Bought RRA flattop stripped upper, RRA bolt carrier, RRA charging handle, RRA 16" midlength barrel.

Everything installed pretty straightforward and easy.  I have not installed the barrel to the upper yet (waiting for action block).

My question is, since I am installing the barrel to the upper (instead of buying preinstalled upper) do I need to check the headspacing?  Or would it be safer to take to installed gun to a gunsmith and have them go over it before I fire the first round?

Thanks for any insight!
BTZ28
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a RRA bolt, and matching barrel, you are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are close to one of the vendors I'm sure they would do a quick check for you after you build.  Never hurts to double check.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Stickman has it.

Since you are using a new bolt and barrel combo I would not worry about headspacing. Where you would run into problems is if you use a combination of new and used bolts and barrels.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Buddy & myself built 2 varmint guns...he used a RRA bolt assembly with a DPMS bull, and i used a RRA bolt assembly with a Sabre Defense HBar...both work flawlessly...we didnt check headspace.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Due to the miracle of Numerical Control (NC) manufacturing equipment, tolerances of new parts, even when mixed from different manufacturers, are such that headspace should be well within specs.  Heavily used bolts/bolt carriers and barrels may develop excessive headspace though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey all,

I'm getting closer to swapping out for a different upper, but keeping the original bbl, b/bc...

Does the headspace issue have more to do with the bbl/bolt interface, and not the upper itself?
As long as they are "matched", can I swap uppers all day long?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it is all with the bolt and barrel extension, but correct me if i am wrong.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone!
I am using all brand new parts from one manufacturer.  I choose RRA (with no particular preference).  It seems like RRA parts are widely sold.

I used vendors from this web site.

Only non RRA part is the muzzle dissipathor/flash hider (from YHM).

Thanks again for the information.
BTZ28

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#9]
One additional question (for Stickman)!
I have brand new RRA Bolt Carrier and RRA 16" barrel.  I ordered them seperately from different  vendors at different times.  They are not neccessarily matching set.  But would that matter?  AR15 bolt-carrier from RRA should match any profile AR15 Barrel from the same manufacturer.

Correct?

Thanks
BTZ28
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Always Check the head space when building up a rifle/combo.

For the most part, a tad too long and the rifle still runs, its the tad too short of correct head spacing that you end with cycling problems (read best to know up front, then chasing your tail trouble shooting later).
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd check headspacing.  The field gauge isn't THAT expensive and the actual check isn't that hard.  It's not like you're gonna pop your thumb trying to put the extractor back unlike the two Garands I just headspaced.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#12]
And the winner is:

Due to the miracle of Numerical Control (NC) manufacturing equipment, tolerances of new parts, even when mixed from different manufacturers, are such that headspace should be well within specs. Heavily used bolts/bolt carriers and barrels may develop excessive headspace though.

+1

Headspace is only between the bolt and barrel.  The upper receiver does not have a dog in this fight.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top