Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2005 2:28:16 PM EDT
Hey, just wondering how many have tried this type camo finish and how well you like it.

http://www.georgiaprecision.com/cart/items/CamoChoices.htm

Kinda pricey...but looks cool. I am curious as to how well it would hold up in the woods.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
heated the link for ease of access

www.georgiaprecision.com/cart/items/CamoChoices.htm

and I belive those are the most realistic patterns I have seen

Didn't catch the pricing, but if its within reason(like twice ordinary patterns), I say worth it
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I've not found them to be all that impressive when it comes to solvent resistance, but I confess it may or may not be the same version that I've worked with.  

Interesting stuff to be sure, but watch what you put on it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a remington 11-87 that has one of those finishes on it.

These are where they lay the camo film in a tank of water and basically dip the firearm into the coating correct?

My 11-87 has many years of turkey and goose seasons on it.  The coating has held up very well on the metal parts, and is flaking off on some of the synthetic plastic parts.  This is limited and mostly around the edges of the forend and stock.  It has held up well to the solvents, but isn't very abrasive resistant, at least not as much as the standard metal finish underneath.

For a hunting gun, it is great, but it has one major drawback, you make it alot harder to find your firearm if you set it down or lean it against a tree.  Not saying I almost lost mine, but had a few of those moments using the outdoor urinal and turned around and was worried for a  few seconds...  "Wait, Squirrels don't steal shotguns."  Blends in about a million times more than "stand out in the woods black."
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I know he's not the only one doing this stuff...just wanted to post a link for folks to see what I was refering to.
I have a Mossberg 835 with a similar finish.  Like UVvis said, it scratches off the plastic somewhat. But seems to hold as good as Krylon finish.
Its my understanding that the final step of the process is to apply a clear coat of some sort, to prtect the finish. I would say this has the most affect on durability.
I'm using VVL800 military light weapons oil on the Mossberg, and doesn't seem to bother the finish.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top