Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 9:44:47 AM EDT
I'm thinking of using a wilson match grade barrel for varmit and long range accuracy any good or should I look at a different barrel maker.Any experience with them good or bad,thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#1]
You first must decide how much money you want to spend, and, then what kind of shooting you plan for the barrel. For example, plinking, NRA Highpower, 3 gun matches, etc.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#2]
prone sand bagged shooting and possible xtc.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]
In my opinion, Wilson does NOT make a match grade barrel.
I look down a lot of barrels.
Wilson makes an acceptable 'production grade' barrel, just like green mountain or shaw, but NOT a match barrel.
When you compare a good douglas or shilen blank to a wilson/shaw/green mountain, you will know what I mean.
I won't even go into how nice Krieger (or others) single point cut and hand lapped blanks are...

Remember that one of the biggest contributors to accuracy is the fit of the bullet to the throat and how well centered the throat is in the bore.
Also remember that 'production line' barrels are made on CNC machines that require tools to be fitted loose enough that they fit every blank in a production run.
0.001" clearance between the reamer pilot and the bore is common.

Custom made barrels such as I make are made one-at-a-time and I fit the pilot to the specific barrel blank with zero clearance, ensuring a perfectly centered throat which gives a barrel blank a MUCH better chance of showing it's full accuracy potential.

Don't take my comments as putting wilson barrels down.
They make a lot of barrels and most of them will shoot ok.
They are not, however, benchrest barrels, so don't expect them to be and you will not be dis-satisfied.
Depending on what your "Match requirements" are, they may just be match grade...

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks sent you an e-mail
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top