Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2005 4:22:28 AM EDT
without causing flaking of the chrome at the muzzle or other issues?  TIA.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:26:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Cutting a chrome lined bore is NOT a recommended option. Suggest ya purchase a replacement barrel of the length ya want and sell the old barrel on the EE.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:30:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:17:49 AM EDT
[#3]
i have one that adcofirearms cut down for me and it has about 7-8k through it since without a single hint of flaking or any such problem.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Might want to ask mongo001. He's done some cut-down work on Chrome-lined barrels.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Cut barrel + Steve + Adco =
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#6]
If its done right, its not a problem. Somehow I doubt the factory finished the barrel before they chromed it anyway.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I cut my last one with a hacksaw and recrowned and threaded it on the lathe. Could have used a parting tool on the lathe to cut it, but lathe time was limited and I had to have it ready to crown and thread when I got to the shop. No, it didn't flake and no adverse affects have been noticed.

Quoted:
Cutting a chrome lined bore is NOT a recommended option.

Ah, yeah, it is a valid option. Cut and thread is less than half the price of a new barrel.
And it's been well proven many times that doing so does not affect the chrome lining.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I have cut many with no problems. I havnt tried using a carbide cutting tool to do it though. I prefer to use an abrasive cutoff wheel on a surface grinder and then recrown on the lathe with a carbide insert. Im probablly overdoing it with the abrasive wheel but it gives me piece of mind

ETA: Im not an armorer either
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#9]
pistol barrel maybe?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have cut down a bunch of chrome lined barrels as well without ever having a problem.

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:37:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I've done three so far.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I had 2 cut, crowned and threaded by Adco. I have in the realm of 5k thru one with no problems.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top