Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 11:38:03 PM EDT
Looking at a CLE barrel for Service Rifle Competition... can choose from stainless or chrome-moly.  Is there an accuracy advantage between them?  I've heard that stainless can be a bear to clean the fouling out of.
Douglas barrels are under $300
Krieger barrels are just over $400
Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:26:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert, but I think that you have it backwards...the chrome-moly barrel would be the harder one to clean.  The chrome lining will make it easier to clean, but you'll lose a little accuracy.  

Can anyone confirm?

-Jbot
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#2]
It takes a little more to break in a Cro-moly barrel,   Stainless will generally shoot better out of the box,  doesnt last as long as cro though.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Stainless is the best.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#4]
SS
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
This is just my opinion. I like chrome-moly because of its slightly faster cooling feature and it's an important factor for me here in the desert region.

If I'm in the other areas, I would pick SS.

You know what they always say here in ARFCOM, get both.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I think your choices should be chrome lined or stainless. Chrome lined Im sure is easier to clean and will resist corrosion better than stainless. Its also much harder than stainless. From everything Ive read stainless barrels tend to be a little more accurate.

Chromoly is just a cheap metal.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think your choices should be chrome lined or stainless. Chrome lined Im sure is easier to clean and will resist corrosion better than stainless. Its also much harder than stainless. From everything Ive read stainless barrels tend to be a little more accurate.

Chromoly is just a cheap metal.

True, but Chrome-Moly is more accurate than Chrome-lined.

SS
Chrome-Moly
Chrome-Lined

In that order for accuracy with the same quality barrels.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Troy will tell you, "Go chrome or go home!"

I say, "Go stainless, it's painless."

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 for ARin...

Chrome-moly steel barrels are not necessarily chrome lined, but chrome lined barrels are ALL chrome-moly steel.

The chrome lining keeps the barrel from wearing, (breaking-in), but it also locks in any defects that may happen to be there when the barrel is first made.

These similar defects would quickly break-in if you are shooting an unlined barrel.

All the top shooters use un-lined barrels, with the majority going for stainless steel.

Douglas barrels are button rifled, a very easy way to make a barrel.
You simply pull a button through a reamed bore and it cold forges the grooves into place.
This does put some stress into the blank.

Krieger barrels are single point cut, a much slower process (read expensive) involving a tool going down the bore MANY times, but removing a very small amount of steel each time.
This introduces very little stress into the blank.
The less stress, the better, as the accuracy will not change as much as the barrel heats up, and the zero will not tend to shift around as much.

If it's only a $100 difference from the Douglas to the Krieger (which is how much more I charge for a Krieger as well) I would go with the Krieger.
Think about how many rounds you are going to put down the barrel in it's useful life and the cost difference is insignificant.

One more thing to know is that the Douglas blanks are NOT usually lapped.
Krieger barrels are hand-lapped and that makes them foul less and clean easier.
Aggressive cleaning with poor technique is the easiest way to ruin ANY barrel.

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Good info.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:05:20 AM EDT
[#13]
What kind of accuracy do you require? A chrome bore requires no break in, stays clean. I do not own a .22 caliber cleaning kit, I just clean the action and chamber. I'll need to get one when I get my Noveske barrel.

SS is a better option than Chrome Moly, because chrome moly rusts easily. It will be slightly more accurate, but unless you shoot good ammo you probably won't even notice the difference. Colt HBAR chrome barrels with handloads and a ff tube usually shoot under 1 MOA, for instance. At least thats what the highpower guys tell me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
The votes are in... Stainless it is!!

This board has been so helpful and informative, I really appreciate all the input.

Thanks
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top