Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/4/2005 5:44:20 PM EDT
I think it was Ciener that used to make a belt fed upper for the ARs? Is anything like this still available other than the .22 version that I see out there?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure is.
The Shrike.
But...don't hold your breath waiting for it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I had thought about getting a kit and building one off of it (C9 kit, whatever you guys call them down there)  but I do not know if it woudl be worth it, or if I coudl even find a kit anymore
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ARES Shrike

I WANT ONE!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
tinypic.com/ddi9du.jpg

Now that pic gives me woodh
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL Thought that the Shrike got scrapped,  or are people still holding their breath for it?  I would love to have one but am waiting to see if they are going to make it or bust.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think it was Ciener that used to make a belt fed upper for the ARs? Is anything like this still available other than the .22 version that I see out there?

It was Ciener.  It was for the M16.  I'm assuming it works with a semi, unless of course it was an open bolt setup.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Those ARES uppers were in small arms review(a few years ago)for $3200.00-3500.00 a upper.

I cant remeber but I think people who ordered them at F-A.com in 2003 siad that ARES had a product they couldnt deliver and were pissed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're are interested in belt fed .22lr uppers (or just want to check out some COOL stuff) ...

www.lakesideguns.com

Unlike ARES, Eric's stuff WORKS!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:48:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ARES Shrike

I WANT ONE!!

You and all the paying customers who paid for thiers five years ago.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#12]
The original was a Ciener unit.  They worked and worked well, but there was never any spare parts for them.  As they wore some, they needed tweaking.  There are precious few gun guys in America that will even touch them now, since they're so unique and carry a HUGE $$$$$ tag when they are for sale.

The Shrike has been vapor ware for years, until 2003(I think), when a total of 3 units were produced.  ARES took deposits ($2500-$5000, depending on when you got in on the deal) and has continued to set delivery dates back...not days, not weeks, not months, but years!  I had a deposit on one, but after a two year wait and the second worst customer service in the gun business (they sometimes even answered their phone) (COLT is the worst, when you actually get to talk to a human), I got my money back (but not without threatening LEGAL action through my lawyer, in spite of the "NO BS refund on a deposit" clause in their contract, which has also changed 3 times over the life of this "product development").  Oh, and the price keeps going up, too!

Reportedly, the 3 delivered units actually worked.  None have been seen since, and the 3 do not pop up at the large gun shoots anymore, at least not that I've heard or seen reported.

There was even some controversy that they would be made Class 3, since the feed device was in the reciever, even though it was just an upper.  ARES and the BATF NEVER defenitively clarified this to most people's satisfaction, which is another reason that I pulled out.

Reports surfaced last year that one of the three available uppers went on one of the gun auction sites for in excess of $10K.  Don't know if that's true or not.

Sorry to rain on your parade.  I want one, too, and I actually put my money where my mouth is (was) and ponied up for a deposit.  I took the deposit when I got it back and went full M16 with a registered reciever.  Great investment, great fun, about the same price in the end, and readily available!

Tom  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top