Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 12:09:16 PM EDT
I just finished my first lower build, attached a 16.5 inch upper from del-ton, but every second or so cartridge after being stripped from the magazine crushes against the feed ramp, and the projectile actually gets forced inside the casing. This happens wether or not I am actualy fireing the weapon or just realeasing the bolt someone help please
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just finished my first lower build, attached a 16.5 inch upper from del-ton, but every second or so cartridge after being stripped from the magazine crushes against the feed ramp, and the projectile actually gets forced inside the casing. This happens wether or not I am actualy fireing the weapon or just realeasing the bolt someone help please

You are wise to pursue this. Do not fire any of those rounds with the bullet pushed back. They could create a high pressure/KABOOM situation.

Are the rounds crimped?

Does this occur with different mags?

viator
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Grab another mag... several if you have them. Load each one with 5 rounds and try shooting them. Take a magic marker and mark the ones that work and replace the springs in the bad ones.
Hopefully this will take care of your problems.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]
My 6.8 was doing this also when dropping the bolt on a loaded mag.  It was traced to rough feed ramps and a bit of TLC with a Dremmel felt pencil tip and some polishing compound seems to have fixed it, at least for chambering by dropping the bolt or working the bolt by hand.  I have yet to live fire it.  There are no long public ranges to try it out so I have only checked chambering by dropping the bolt and hand cycling with a shortened FP in place.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's every other round, consistently, it sounds like you have a feed ramp problem. Look at the rounds as you work the action manually and see where they're hitting and observe what the problem is.

Sounds like it might be hitting the edge of the barrel extension because it might not have a perfect fit in the upper leaving a lip for the rounds to run into.

Just my opinion. Check the mags first. If they are all doing it, you might have bigger problems. I fixed mine with a Dremel to the ramps.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Bad mag follower or messed up feed ramp,  also I ordered a M4 kit from Del ton a while back that had the M-4 ramps,   you might make sure they have a ramped barrel in a ramped rec and vice versa.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Something is wrong that extended ramps may cover up but not fix.  You either have a bad mag or bad mag catch or a combo of both.  I'd definitely fix that before I pursue other options.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Dammit  See your stalking me!!!  

hey still got those uppers mongo?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
hey still got those uppers mongo?

Yep.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top