Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2005 10:47:52 AM EDT
I just received a new AR15 upper from Model 1 Sales. This is my third upper from them, and all have worked OK, but they have all smelled funny when new... a sweet/flowery aroma, a bit like fabric softener. My uppers from other suppliers did not smell like this. Could this be something they apply to inhibit corrosion or facilitate assembly  ? Something else ?

And, no, it doesn't smell like fried chicken .
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#1]
This has to be most strange question i have ever seen. Do you want to smell my cast?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#2]
You have lost a powerful ally.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I knew it was coming,it was just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Your upper smells of ELDERBERRIES!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I noticed it too. It smells terrible.....seriously.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#6]
MIne had the same thing. Almost like it was sprayed under the handguards with perfume. i thought I was the special one!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
is it a type of douche?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I noticed it too. It smells terrible.....seriously.

Sorry you don't like it. I don't particularly mind, but its a bit... bizarre

Quoted:
MIne had the same thing. Almost like it was sprayed under the handguards with perfume. i thought I was the special one!

Wow, and I thought I was the only one. I feel cheated .
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Man I know what your talking about.  I got one a while back and every time I would pull the charging handle there it was.  Oddly I also got a RRA Upper from M&A PArts that smelled the same way.  Sprayed it down with Carb cleaner  and re-oiled it and no more smell,   its very odd.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
My CMT upper had a funny smell when I first got it, finally realized it was coated in a thin layer of WD40.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Those rags that they are wrapped in when they get to you, look closely. They are not rags but dirty underwear
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Man I know what your talking about.  I got one a while back and every time I would pull the charging handle there it was.  Oddly I also got a RRA Upper from M&A PArts that smelled the same way.  Sprayed it down with Carb cleaner  and re-oiled it and no more smell,   its very odd.

When I got my M&A Parts kit in January of '04 it had a........sweet smell to it also.

I thought it was a little wierd.

And NO, it wasn't WD40. That is Redneck cologne, and I would know if they used that

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I feel left out! My Model 1 didn't come with that option.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I feel left out! My Model 1 didn't come with that option.

I'll send you some: SCRATCH & SNIFF HERE >>>>> O <<<<<
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:22:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I figured Denny was smoking a huge cigar while packing when I got that funky smelling CMT upper receiver,  That thing smelled funktafied.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#16]
that's how some parts are greased before shipping- they are inserted into a pregreased orifice...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Does it smell like ............... VICTORY ???
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#18]
They smell of crappy workmanship.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
They smell of crappy workmanship.

I won't argue with that.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#21]
LOL Damn I feel like I am being stalked by Wizzo and Mongo,     oh stole someones little animated monkey.    And oddly,  I got to shoot my middy yesterday fuctioned flawlessly,  and that damn smell came back though.  I think it has something to do with the finish on the uppers or something cause I usually only smell it when charging the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
LOL Damn I feel like I am being stalked by Wizzo and Mongo,     oh stole someones little animated monkey.    And oddly,  I got to shoot my middy yesterday fuctioned flawlessly,  and that damn smell came back though.  I think it has something to do with the finish on the uppers or something cause I usually only smell it when charging the rifle.

I usually click on the M&A threads because I've dealt with them at gunshows and got my first AR kit from them.

The sweet smeel will go away. It must have something to do with the packing grease/oil. Maybe that's what Bravo Co. is talking about above.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Good deal.  Your barrel came with the gas port drilled in it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#24]
LOL   RRA having problems with not drilling the gas port hole?    
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#25]
It's the new gun smell. Like the new car smell only more kick ass.

Why do guys like girls to wair leather?( i don't know witch wair)

It's the new car smell.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#26]
LOL Got a new colt once that didnt have that smell.  dunno what kinda new cars you been getting.  did they have dead hookers in the trunk or something?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:00:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Same here!  everytime I pull the charging handle back I can smell it again.  I took it all apart and cleaned the hell out of everything but if pull the handle back a couple times it comes back.....wierd
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#28]
That's the NEW Fabreeze for firearms!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#29]
After inspecting one of their lightweight assembled uppers earlier this year at the Indy 1500 show....that had the flashhider indexed 180 degrees off, I smelled something too.

Especially when I showed it to them, and they still put it back out on display....

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

ah, by the time I came along, there was no hope that I would be the first one to post that lol.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ah, by the time I came along, there was no hope that I would be the first one to post that lol.  

I'm not gonna ask.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not gonna ask.

WIZZO

Monty Python, dude.  

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.  

PLEASE tell my you know what I'm talking about
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:56:24 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not gonna ask.

WIZZO

Monty Python, dude.  

He's too young for that.  He probably doesn't even know who Mongo is.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:41:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Mongo but pawn in game of life
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Monty Python, dude.  

A little too young for Monty Python, but isn't Mongo off of Blazing Saddles?

Damn youngins

WIZZO
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top