Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2005 7:29:32 PM EDT
Alright I had to sell my AR to pay off my credit cards and had nearly $2000(buy everything new said the tooth fairy....well i aint buying it)  so now I want to build a decent a3/m4 style AR.  How much do I need and were do I go?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I built a very high quality basic m4 for $799.95. Funny enough that's the exact price it came out too. But that is high because I bought parts locally and they always are at premium prices and then some around here. If I has bought everything off the EE from the great dealers here, I could have gotten it at about $75 cheaper. I must add also that all the parts I used were brand new. If you go with used parts you can easily come in under $600.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If you aren't in a hurry, and don't mind some lightly used parts, you can do VERY well for yourself.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah stickman can build an awesome AR15 out of parts he got in trade for a fish and a brick.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Go here and it will cost you $519 for everything to build a M4, less a stripped lower which you can get for $100.

flat-top upper......................$85
carry handle........................$36
bolt & carrier combo...........$100
charging handle..................$16
delta ring assembly............$9
phantom 5C1 FH.................$20
M4 handguards....................$22
6-pos ribbed stock...............$40
lower parts kit........................$49
14.5 wilson BBl......................$142

='s $519.00

LINK HERE
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#6]
between 550 and 600
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:23:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks alot guys.....I will start aquiring parts randomly and hope to have a finished product by next summerish.  I wonder what the cheapest one has ever been built?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:38:21 AM EDT
[#8]
depends on what you want and where you go to find it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:59:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks alot guys.....I will start aquiring parts randomly and hope to have a finished product by next summerish.  I wonder what the cheapest one has ever been built?

I think Stickman did one for <300 if I'm not mistaken.  

It really all depends on what you want.  I can easily see a basic 20" A2 for <$600 using quality parts.  My last build was $933.  I used all brand new components from RRA, CMMG, YHM, LMT, etc.  I could have done it cheaper but I wanted it then.  My current build is going to be much less (I hope).  Just keep a watch on the EE.  My goal is a 16" carbine w/collapsible stock or $500 or so.  We'll see.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Are there alot of crap parts?  Ill keep my eyes on EE and hopefully I can score one for around $500.  Basic m4 for now and maybe some YHM rail system for later.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I think the real question might be how much can you build one that you actually WANT for?

Every time I've added up what I want it comes up to about $650 before tax and *test* ammo.  

Lower + 6 pos. stock + part kit = $225 (Stag combo in EE)
16" heavy upper + FF handguard + bolt/carrier/charging handle = $390-$425 (various online vendors)

I'm sure I could buy the parts individually but individual shipping charges add up quickly.  Or on the other hand I could sacrafice what I want for better deals that I find.  Since I know that I definately want the Stag combo I might spend another month or two looking for better deals on uppers.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Goddamn. I dont know where to start, for finding decent, yet affordable parts. HEEEELP hock.gif
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies guys.  

I just feel naked without my black rifle and in recent events of the world I want some serious firepower.  I have a xd40 w/9mm conversion barrel and a 870 express shotty.  Neither mid to long range.  

I dont have a block or other tools so maybe a preassebled upper(barrel and upper) would be better.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#14]
And what is this EE that everyone is talking about?!? hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
And what is this EE that everyone is talking about?!?

AR15.com equipment exchange, link at top right of the page or here:

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/board.html?b=7
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#16]
THANK YOU!!!

I am so flustered. Have been lurking on the site for a while, only now finally ready to build I think. Just still am not sure best places to get something GOOD, but VERY AFFORDABLE. Are there any threads, or any quidance where to go for this?? Just TOO MUCH info. haha
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Bravo Company has some good deals on LMT 14.5 uppers right now, you have to add the item to your shopping cart to see what the sale price is.

Looks like Stag (CMT) is the "best buy" for lowers, although many others are also good values. Also look at CMT and LMT for uppers, depending on what twist rate you want.

What do you want to build?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I want to do a 14.5 1/9 m4 profile with phantom or troy medival fh.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Just want to build a nice looking/reliable tactical AR15

collapsable stock, smaller barrel, etc etc. just want something a little less expensive for my first one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I want to do a 14.5 1/9 m4 profile with phantom or troy medival fh.  

14.5 1/9  is would be Bushmaster, DPMS or a Wilson barrel from Del-Ton.  RRA and Saber may have one aswell.

Here is a Bushmaster" www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=281083
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just want to build a nice looking/reliable tactical AR15

collapsable stock, smaller barrel, etc etc. just want something a little less expensive for my first one.

I'd look at Del-Ton for a kit then.

www.del-ton.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=80

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yeah stickman can build an awesome AR15 out of parts he got in trade for a fish and a brick.

Actually, it was fishes and loaves, no wait, thats a different story....

As highwayman commented, I have built several AR15s for under $300.  My last one, and current favorite was done for $185, and is pictured below.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I love the A1 upper there. A2s are kind of a pet peeve of mine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I dropped an A2 aperature into it, but the A2 rear sight as a unit does nothing for me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it was fishes and loaves, no wait, thats a different story....

As highwayman commented, I have built several AR15s for under $300.  My last one, and current favorite was done for $185, and is pictured below.

img400.imageshack.us/img400/3900/p1010060resizedlarge1xd.jpg

I hate you so very very much
That is awesome.  Are they all used parts found on EE or what?  How many do you own now?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#26]
How in the HELL do you build one for that inexpensive??? Is it still reliable? Wow. Looks great, Stickman!

you have a PM too
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I've gotten a few PM and email asking about the $185 build, and I should have added the following in my original text.

To build AR15s cheaply, you need to do a few things.  

First and foremost, you need to like guns.  I don't mean like them a little, I mean that you need to be the first person who people think of when they think about AR15s, parts, buying, selling or upgrading.  

Second, you need to be the first person that people come to for answers to questions.  You've got to be able to do the work, and refer people to products and parts, plus make sure you know where they can get the best prices for those things.

Lastly, you've got to be willing to help people out, and expect nothing in return.  Bending over backwards to help others, being there when people need you, and working and dealing with a large amount of both people AND weapons are all mandatory.

I dont' claim to be an expert, nor do I claim to have all the answers, but I am willing to help those people who have come to depend on me, and quite often, they take good care of me.

While I couldn't duplicate the $185 build on demand, I've been able to do it more than once, and on occasion, even cheaper.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Very well done. I had a feeling it was something along those lines. Being a decent person, knowledgable and just overall having networks to align with. Awsome build! Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
How in the HELL do you build one for that inexpensive??? Is it still reliable? Wow. Looks great, Stickman!

you have a PM too

There are only (roughly) 500 rounds through it, and there have been no issues with it so far.  I won't call it reliable, as I think its too early, but I will say that it has been shooting with 100% reliability up to this point.  I hope that makes a little sense.

After building it, and refinishing the upper with the proper Norrells color, the first thing I did was go shoot it, and use a bullet nose to adjust the sights.  This weapon will NOT live a charmed life.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine is all new and it ran me $520. Pics soon. Found it all at a discount on the EE.My only newbie mistake was getting a carbine length gastube for a mid length handguard front sight. I was confused because I do not like HG... I like freefloat tubes, and well, I resold the wrong gastube and got the right one from a Arfcommer who had one left. I found out they were hard to find cheap.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#31]
NICE! haha. Still, the weapon looks great. Think I could make one like that from Del-Ton, the link the other poster gave me? Sorry I am so quick on the draw about this. I am obviously going to learn more (and really want to)....just am sort of on a tight time restraint right now (and obviously budget as well). Regardless, all of you guys' info is great. Awsome community here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Mine is all new and it ran me $520. Pics soon. Found it all at a discount on the EE.

Not bad. Is there a post somewhere that explains in details what all the parts are that I need to get? Thats one thing I am worried about, either buying stuff and not getting the right configuration, or....well, stuff like that. Heh. I know, noob questions, but like I said, its so much info to obsorb.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I've found nothing on the EE, but I keep hearing that if you live on the EE or check it constantly, you can get some great deals.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I've searched without much luck, maybe the 30 day limit is the problem for me.  But is there a list of ALL of the parts required to build and AR?  I would love to have a "shopping list" to take with me to the next MG shoot.  If someone could do that they would be my hero.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I've searched without much luck, maybe the 30 day limit is the problem for me.  But is there a list of ALL of the parts required to build and AR?  I would love to have a "shopping list" to take with me to the next MG shoot.  If someone could do that they would be my hero.

exactly what I would LOVE. And what is an MG shoot?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#36]
dpixel8,

Typically, the cheapest way to get into an AR15 is to build it.  

You can buy a kit which has everything but the stripped lower receiver for roughly $435 from Model 1 sales.  

The below is available in the picture version, or with a lightweight barrel for this price.  You can also get the barrel chrome lined for another $35/  You can replace the A2 upper with a flattop (without the carry handle) for the same $435.  

You could also buy a standard 20" rifle kit, for $435.

The nice thing about buying the kits is that the upper is preassembled and test fired.  This means you don't need any special tools to assemble your AR15.  I used a set of nail punches, a hammer, and tape for my first few, and had no problems at all.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#37]
You don't want a list of all parts, it would be the most expensive way in the world to buy a weapon.

Your cheapest way is going to be a kit.  What I would do is search around, and find what prices are like on the type of kit you want.  After you do that, check and see if any of the companies anre going to be at any of the larger shoots or shows.  If they are, see if you can buy it there.  If not, buy it online and save yourself the sales tax.

The gunshows are a great place to pickup a lower receiver if you don't have any good FFL contacts.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Holy WOW. Thats not bad at ALL. WOW!

and then this guy: http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=238706   is selling the lowers. Thats all I would need. How do these compare to say....Rock River or Bushmaster? Is it pretty much the belief now, that they are all pretty decent build quality? I know I Have read articles saying some people believe that "theres NOTHING that compares to the quality of Bush or Colt"....just wondering what someone like yourself, who seems to build a lot, feels. Obviously, building to me, seems the best route, for affordability.

And this route you just showed me, seems like it would be the "fastest" route as well.

Again, THANKS!!! so much.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#39]
So it even comes with the rest of the receiever parts? (the Model 1) So all I need then is the stripped receiver. Wow. This is  HOT
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Ya this is pretty awesome.  I thought $800 was good when I bought my new Postban plain jane Bushmaster. I know what Im asking for christmas
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I thought $800 was good when I bought my new Postban plain jane Bushmaster.

You don't want to hear my Bushmaster story then.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought $800 was good when I bought my new Postban plain jane Bushmaster.

You don't want to hear my Bushmaster story then.....

No no go ahead you have already killed me with the $180 thing and all your cool pictures so go ahead finish me off what did you do......
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I dropped an A2 aperature into it, but the A2 rear sight as a unit does nothing for me.

I would go for the same plane, personally. The A2 app has what, a 6 MOA shift? I would like to keep my 50/200 zero regardless of which hole I was using.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#44]
My parts boxes stick with standard stuff.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
My parts boxes stick with standard stuff.....

Arent you going to break my heart?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#46]
For $430, and 7 months on the EE you can have something like this:

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Where can I find some Stag upper kits. I have also been reading some before I started to post and now this has taken control till I can get one built. Im just like the other trying to figure out whatI need with out buying the wrong parts. I also like the FF handguards better then the standard ones.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Ok, but only because you asked nicely..... I'm into this Bushie HbarA3 for somewhere in the $400-450 range.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, but only because you asked nicely..... I'm into this Bushie HbarA3 for somewhere in the $400-450 range.

www.airforcesecuritypolice.com/invisionboard/uploads/post-3-1117859053.jpg

That is almost the exact rifle I want.  Do you sell your rifles? Not that I necessary want one just curious.  Your sir are the balls
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

exactly what I would LOVE. And what is an MG shoot?

Look here.

Usually VERY good prices and just up the road from me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top