Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2005 9:20:01 PM EDT
I currently have a 24 inch bull barrel that was primarily for hunting, and some bench shooting.  After carrying it around a few times, I have realized that I am fat, and so is my rifle.

What I really need is an accurate rifle out to ~200 yards.  Barrel less than 20 inches.  I would like to have the ability to shoot 556 or 223, (wylde chamber?)  I dont feel I need chrome lined, since I dont plan to shoot that many rounds.  Is the mid length that much better?  Also I am going to free float the barrel with a rifle length tube.  When used for hunting I will probably be using 50-55 grn bullets and possibly 62 for the bench.  1/9 twist best for me?  

I've been planning this for awhile and I don't want to make a stupid mistake and buy the wrong barrel for my use.  I may also use this as a perimeter weapon when needed for patrol.

My current thought is 16" hbar, mid-length, 1-9 twist, 556 or wylde chamber, and a YHM lightweight rifle tube. Any suggestions on the barrel?  Who has the best deal?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You could look at a Bushmaster superlight 16" carbine barrel.  I built a rifle for my wife using that and shoots nice.  It's a 1/9 twist, which should be good for what you are shooting.

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/abbl-16sla.asp
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I am kinda partial to Bushmaster but I heard they were way backorderd on barrels at this time.  This is something that I hope to order in the next few weeks.  Also I'm not looking for a super lightweight unit, just lighter than what I have now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Fulton Armory used to have USGI A1 barrels in the wrap, but it looks like the've sold them all or are saving the remainder for their own rifles.  I have one on my first AR - an A1 style Fulton Armory Legacy Rifle - and it shoots 2" groups at 100 yards with Federal M193 and (iron sights).  Wouldn't meet your 62 grain requirement, though.

You could get one of the CDNN A1 Uppers, take the barrel and sell off the rest.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#4]
How about one of Denny's Recon barrels? Pics here.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#5]
The cheapest way out with a new barrel for you is just to snag a 16" ER Shaw barrel from Model 1.  I've got one that shoots well under 1".  

I'd stick with the HBAR...I have a pencil barreled upper that is silly light, but those little barrels heat up quick, and I've heard stories of some POI shift once they get hot.  A gov't. profile might be an option to save weight, or you could just have Model 1 flute the HBAR for another $50...you'd still be under $200.  

The Bushy isn't too bad price wise, and iirc, all of their barrels are chrome lined?  

As far as I know, only RRA has the Wylde chamber, so if you really want one, you might be stuck with an RRA barrel.  

Or, send your current beast out to get whacked and fluted.  I just sent my 24" DPMS .308 bull barrel out to get cut to 20" and fluted...we're looking at a 3 to 4 lb. weight saving on that bad boy.  

You could get almost as much out of that yourself with your barrel.  When all is said and done, the whole deal with shipping both ways will be around $100.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Take a look at ADCO and click on their "Custom Building" tab.

JTAC Supply might also have the lighter barrels you're looking for, just click on their "Barrels and Parts" tab.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had good luck with J&T distribuiting.

I have a 16" superlight from them (not chrome lined) that shoots really well.

Might give them a try.

www.jtdistributing.com/
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Take a look at the SS OA SUM 16" barrels, or actually, any of their SS barrels, which will all end up being very accurate.  I've used a few of their SS M4 barrels, and been impressed, plus it is hard to beat their prices on SS barrels.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies.  I had already drooled over Dennys Recon barrel but it is just a little out of my price range right now.  I have pretty well narrowed it down to a 16 hbar, now just trying to decide between a shaw or wilson.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:38:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How about one of Denny's Recon barrels? Pics here.

+1

dead accurate barrel!!!!!

also adcofirearms has a nice list of barrels to choose from also.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top