Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2005 5:30:15 PM EDT
I've only had my first AR about a month or so, but I'm ready to try my hand at building one.  I'm really hooked on the SBR right now.  Can anyone tell me the proper way to go about building one?

Do I buy a stripped lower and them send off for the tax stamp while it sits in my safe for 6 months?  Is it legal to own all the parts but not the completed rifle?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#1]
the lower is the only part that has to be registered. dont need a tax stamp unless u plan on using Full Auto.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
So it only has to be registered.  So is there isn't a 200 tax?  How long is the wait?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
dont need a tax stamp unless u plan on using Full Auto.

Incorrect. You need the tax stamp for any NFA item - machinegun, SBR, SBS, AOW, suppressor, etc.

Quoted:
Can anyone tell me the proper way to go about building one?

You will need two Form 1's, two passport photos, two fingerprint cards, and one citizenship form. You then take this paperwork to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) in your area. The CLEO will sign your Form 1's and fingerprint you on the cards. If you live in an area where the CLEO refuses to sign Form 1's, you can form a simple corporation (LLC, etc.) and then are exempt from the CLEO signature and fingerprints. You will then need to attach the passport photos to each of the Form 1's, and send all completed paperwork to the BATF along with a one-time fee of $200. Then you wait until you recive approval from the BATF, which will probably be months. Do not build the SBR until you receive the approved paperwork.

Quoted:
Is it legal to own all the parts but not the completed rifle?

Having the short barrel in your possession until then is a gray area. Some claim that you can possibly be charged with constructive possession. If you want to buy the barrel or complete upper now, I would advise keeping it at someone's house who does not own an AR-15 rifle. This is just to be on the safe side, and maybe not legally necessary.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, well I'm off to buy a stripped lower to get the paperwork in the mail.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top