Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2005 10:36:10 PM EDT
      As an excercise/excuse to build another one, i'm trying to build a light weight 16" barrel AR. I plan on starting with a Cav arms lower which should be good for about a pound of reduction . I'm also looking at  J&T distributing's fluted H-bar barrel.
     What are some ideas from the forum to get as light an AR as possible?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster has a superlight 16" barrel that is very nice.

I built my wife's rifle using it.

Didn't care for the A1 upper so went A3 with a backup iron.

Got some thermold mags to help with weight also.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#3]
model1 sales also offers a superlight barrel and if money is  no issue you could look for a colt bbl.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:43:30 AM EDT
[#4]
slim fast
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:32:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the links eklickwhoa. My search came up dry. I put in light(space)weight and got nothing! D'uh.
Does anyone know the weight difference with the different upper recievers?

Slim fast, 12 oz. icecream and 1/2 cup of hot fudge. Blend til smooth. top with whip cream and sprinkles. yummmmmm...
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got one with a Stag lower, everything else is late '70s Colt Sporter 16".  It's an A1, with the pencil barrel, and 2 position metal stock. I've never weighed it, but it feels pretty light to me.  I'm sure I could lighten it up some with a plastic stock, but I'm comfortable with it the way it is.  Hope this helps you out some.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Great stuff guys. I'm learning something new every half hour. Keep 'em coming!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd get the Colt 6520 upper, IMHO, the best light weight barrel out there.  Here's a source - Link.  If you want a different receiver, like a flat top, simply switch it out.  You can usually recover $150 of your cost by selling the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered a 6520.

If you want the best lightweight barrel, 6520 is the way to go. It is .625, chrome lined, 556, and has the 1/7 twist. The 6520 barrel also comes with M4 feedramps. So it is the best of all worlds.

I believe this barrel is .625 the whole way, whereas the Bushmaster might be a fraction of an ounce ligher because it tapers to .570.

Unfortunately, the Colt is pricy. Can't have cheap, light, and all the features rolled into one.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'd get the Colt 6520 upper, IMHO, the best light weight barrel out there.  Here's a source - Link.  If you want a different receiver, like a flat top, simply switch it out.  You can usually recover $150 of your cost by selling the receiver.

Thats what I have. It is a pleasure to lug around.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#12]
The lightest upper receiver I found when I was shopping for components for my ultralight carbine build was the Les Baer Ultimate w/o forward assist - 6.9 oz. before you put the ejection port door on.

I wish I'd known about the Cold 6520 when I did my build.  I'm a relative newbie and it was my first build, so I went with the Bushmaster Superlight barrel.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I used a Model 1 lightweigt barrel on this build.  

The upper is very light, using a standard receiver.  The carbon fiber tube saved me a little bit of weight too.  

IIRC, the Maryland AR Shooter site has a weight database of just about everything you could ever put on an AR.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Great tips guys. Where do you get the carbon fiber parts?
What are some of your rifles weights?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Great tips guys. Where do you get the carbon fiber parts?
What are some of your rifles weights?

The tube on my rifle is a Clarks Custom tube.  The come in rifle length, and I've had this one a couple of 20" ARs.  I finally decided it would be good on this build, and the kind folks at Clark offered to cut it for the cost of the return shipping.  I think it looks good with the tube buttstock, and lord knows it's light.  '

I don't know what this rifle weighs, since I don't have anyting accurate enough to weigh it.  I'm figuring about 5 1/2 lbs, just as a guess.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#16]
With my Cav lower I used a lightweight ("pencil") chrome lined 16" barrel from J&T, an A3 upper rx.  With a DPMS stand alone rear sight it weighs just a hair over 5 lb.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I used a Cav Arms Mk. II lower, Les Baer flat top w/o FA and Cav Arms Stand Alone Rear Sight, DPMS bolt carrier assembly w/o FA serrations and Colt bolt, Bushmaster Superlight Barrel w/Vortex and Clark Custom CF free float tube cut to carbine length weighs in at 5 lb. 4 oz. exactly on my digital scale.  

I could have gotten closer to 5 lb. by losing the iron sights and using an A1 flash suppressor instead of the Vortex.  My rifle weighs 5 lb. 6.3 oz. with my 2.3 oz. OKO 4W.  I wanted the Vortex and iron sights "just in case."
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#18]
As already mentioned, go with a lightweight barrel, this is the biggest influence on total weight of the rifle.

Excel sheet of weights from MD-AR15.com is the most complete reference of parts weights that I know of.

If you are stuck with a heavy barrel now, there are several shops that can machine it down and re-finish to a lightweight profile.

My shop services are found here: www.ar15barrels.com/services.shtml

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#19]
you can get one of those ABS carbon fiber barrels. Mine should be coming soon.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks again guys. This build is slowly coming together in my head and even slower in my budget. I'll be sure to post pics and a final weight when this rifle becomes a reality. ~ 5 lbs. sounds great. Getting lighter than that starts to get expensive!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#21]
search the EE for twl's carbon fiber wrapped barrels.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top