Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2005 7:13:35 PM EDT
would one of these be good. what drill depth is needed. accuracy ok, these are made in china.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
No. You need to use a milling machine, such as a Bridgeport, so you have absolute control over depths and dimesions in an X, Y, and Z axis.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
are you kidding or serious. Bridgeport is a top line machine. Ill look up some bridgeports
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#3]
He's not kidding, it is a job for someone with the access to the very expensive needed equipment and the specialized skills to use them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#4]
a drill press for an 80% receiver - sure sears will be fine.  Get the 12 inch one if you can afford it.  What are we talking about here - drilling some holes.  80% receiver right?  The sear unit will hold its center good enough.  Youre building an AK, not the space shuttle.

Gang, anyone want to argue with me that the AK requires micro precision?   I didn't think so.  The chinks build millions of them using chink tools.  I dont like buying ANYTHING (except ak's) from China but it's getting very hard to find anything make in America.    

Back to the topic - a $100.00 table top dill press will do the job if youre just drilling some holes.

That's my 2 cents worth of opinion, now accepting postal money orders.  

.Woops, never mind.  just realized this is AR building, not Ak.  aaahhhh so..soooo vary sorry
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#5]
You should use a Mill.

If you don't have access, then if you elect to use a Drill Press, don't bitch about the results,  The 80% lower was designed to finished with a Mill.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Since this is the AR BIY forum Ill assume you are talking about an 80% AR.

People have dine them with drill presses, jig, and files.

You do not necesarilly neeb a bridgport. I would sugest a milling machine though. At the very least a Harbour freight Mini-Mill. Thats what I started with years ago but have since moved up to a larger Mill/Drill.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#7]

HELLO

TO FINISH AN 80% YOU DO NOT NEED A MILL ,
I HAVE FINISHED ONE WITH BASIC HAND TOOLS ,
MY DRILL JIG WILL WORK WITH A HAND HELD 3/8 DRILL

HERE IS A LINK TO ONE PERSONS WAY THEY DID IT

http://www.riflewarrior.com/building_the_kristi_tool.htm

WILLIAM
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:34:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
HELLO

TO FINISH AN 80% YOU DO NOT NEED A MILL ,
I HAVE FINISHED ONE WITH BASIC HAND TOOLS ,
MY DRILL JIG WILL WORK WITH A HAND HELD 3/8 DRILL

HERE IS A LINK TO ONE PERSONS WAY THEY DID IT

http://www.riflewarrior.com/building_the_kristi_tool.htm

WILLIAM

I bought the CNC jig, I found that I liked useung a cordless drill better, it gave me better control over the speed.
I used a large drill press to ream the buffer hole, then used the chuck to align the tap while turning it by hand.
I bought a 4 flute end mill set from Harbor Freight Tools for like $30 and a cross slide vise $30 approx. and turned my drill press into a light duty mill. It worked good enough for milling out the FCG pocket.
I used a chop saw to level the top plain, I just held the lower against the SIDE of the chop saw blade and took frequent measurements with a caliper.
Hand filed the rest.
BTW, I used castings.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top