Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2005 1:40:54 PM EDT

Ok, why is this damned thing not fitting under my Samson rail?

It says, "For use with railed foreends".  This thing is a pig!

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Ah crap, nevermind.  I guess you have to have the "Specter" gas block.

F'in YHM could not have made that more confusing!  Why would you sell a "low profile" gas block that doesnt fit under a rail system?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ah crap, nevermind.  I guess you have to have the "Specter" gas block.

F'in YHM could not have made that more confusing!  Why would you sell a "low profile" gas block that doesnt fit under a rail system?

No, that one will fit under a yankee hill tube, either the customizable or the railed one. It must be the Samson tube, 'cos there's at least 1/8" of clearance looking at my railed forend.  Here, see for yourself:

I've got both the low profile and the specter...when all is said and done, they're pretty much the same height.  

Measure the inside diameter of the tube...the YHM is 2.815.  Also, make sure nothing is sticking into the tube from the top or bottom.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#3]
MP,

I might shed some light on this.  I have a YHM and DD quad rails and the YHM has a much larger inside diameter than the DD.  The last Sampson rail I saw was like the DD.

I feel the YHM low profile is desidned to fit inside of a YHM quad.

BTW, the outside diameter of the YHM rail is much bigger, almost feels like an R-4 handguard.

Just my thoughts.

Ooopps!!! My buddy Fenian beat me to the punch, just read what he wrote. Anyway we are thinking alike.  

77Bronc
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...No, that one will fit under a yankee hill tube, either the customizable or the railed one. It must be the Samson tube, 'cos there's at least 1/8" of clearance looking at my railed forend.  Here, see for yourself:
img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/188491/lowprofile1.jpg

I've got both the low profile and the specter...when all is said and done, they're pretty much the same height.  

Measure the inside diameter of the tube...the YHM is 2.815.  Also, make sure nothing is sticking into the tube from the top or bottom.  

Could I kindly ask you to show a picture of the setup from the side? I'm contemplating the same exact setup as yours and would like to see how it looks. Is yours a 16 inch barrel?

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but I've been out of town.  Here's a shot of the upper...16" Model 1 barrel, everything else is YHM.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I have no experience with the sampson rails, never built one up, but I have done just about all the other major makers.

Larue and Daniel Defense are much smaller 'clearance diameters' inside the tube, allowing a proper picatinny spec on the rails without growing the handguard as large when you put the big rail covers on them.
YHM have a much larger 'clearance diameter' and YHM's gas block designs reflect this.

Here is a LaRue rail and a 0.940" diameter low profile (but still too wide) gas block that did not fit either.
We were trying to use a 13.2" handguard to cover the gas block, but ended up with the 12.0 instead.

This is exactly why LaRue and PRI have gas blocks with a really SLIM profile (slim as-in NARROW, not just LOW), but there is still no way to put a 0.940" gas block under some handguards.

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top