Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 9:17:17 AM EDT
I know little to nothing about building an AR 15.  Perhaps one of you kind experts can answer my question.  I found a

"DPMS Complete Lower" for $270,
a brand new "Colt SP1 Upper" for $400,
a "CMT/STAG Bolt Carrier Assembly" with bolt, bolt carrier & firing pin for $120, and
a "CMT Charging Handle" for $20.

Is this all I need for complete assembly other than a mag, and are these reasonable prices?  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]
You could build a lower for less than the DPMS complete...and get what you want in terms of the buttstock.  But, all things considered (transfer fee, shipping on the parts if you build it yourself), that's not too bad IF you're buying it in person and avoiding any shipping and/or transfer fee on the lower.  If not, then just build yourself one and save some $$.  

Ameetec Lowers are going for around $85 I believe...and RRA lower parts kits are $55.  You'll need a receiver extension, spring, buffer and buttstock, but you can pick 'em up in the EE for not a whole lot.  

I'm not sure, but I believe Colt uses different takedown pins...someone else will have to chime in, but that may nerf the idea of using a Colt upper and any other lower...you'll have to check on that.  Is that the price of a NEW SP1 upper?  

$120 is not bad for the Bolt/carrier assembly...ADCO has RRAs for $115, I think.  Charging handle price is not out of line...I've seen 'em for $15.  

You've got around $820 into it at this point.  

You could build a kit from J&T (for example, there are others out there) for considerably less...around $200.  They come with every thing but the receiver, and can be had for around $450,depending what config you want.  Another $85 for an Ameetec lower, plus shipping and transfer fee, maybe $120 total, and you've got a nice AR for around $600.  Also, you can get whatever kind of gas block, buttstock, etc on it, and not have to worry about changing 'em out later.  

Building them is fun..in this case, all you're doing is building the lower, the upper is full assembled.  

Either way, you'll have lots of fun with your first rifle.  

I bought my first one complete, bought 2 kits for the next ones, now I just build 'em from scratch.  

Welcome to the disease!  

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Plus, if you get the SP1 upper from CDNN, it comes with a buttstock and buffer (A1 style) so you really don't need a complete lower...

- AG
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I know little to nothing about building an AR 15.  Perhaps one of you kind experts can answer my question.  I found a

"DPMS Complete Lower" for $270,
a brand new "Colt SP1 Upper" for $400,
a "CMT/STAG Bolt Carrier Assembly" with bolt, bolt carrier & firing pin for $120, and
a "CMT Charging Handle" for $20.

Is this all I need for complete assembly other than a mag, and are these reasonable prices?  Thanks in advance!

I think you are paying too much.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top