Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 7:50:19 PM EDT
I have been reading for some time and have seen a lot of comments, tips and suggestions and advice.

But I do have a number of RRA lowers that came with the collapsible stock and I know I am in for a battle getting them off.

I am not real crazy about applying heat, but feel I may have to.  I have temp sticks in 500, 550, 600, and 650 degrees.  How hot do you feel I need to go to get the Loctite to break and is there any damage to the finish?

Thanks for any comments and help.

77Bronc
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I know this might not help you much, but a dealer I was talking to at a gunshow said he just sends them back to RRA.

He originally got ahold of them for help and they told him to heat it gently with a handheld torch of some type and the loc-tite would come loose. He said it never did and he stripped out a lower trying to get it off. He says he sends the rest of them to RRA when he needs them off now.

Hope this helps some.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I purchased a RRA LEO Entry Tactical with the 6 position stock several months and didn't have a problem taking off the stock with an Armorer's Wrench (to add a single point sling end plate).  Although I did see some kinda hardened compound on the extension tube threads, used to seal the tube to the lower (didn't look like blue or red loctite).  

Have you tried to take if off with just an Armorer's Wrench?  It should work.

My .02.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#3]
do they loctite the nut or the extension tube threads in the receiver?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
do they loctite the nut or the extension tube threads in the receiver?

The way this guy explained it, it sounded like they red loc-tited it onto the lower.

I didn't talk to him much after that after I bought an armorers wrench. I noticed he had a RRA Std. A2 sitting on the table for $930ish and it didn't have a RRA upper on it. He also had a RRA lower with a dissy upper on it that he was selling as a factory rifle

I decided not to ask any further questions at this point.

WIZZO
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top