Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2005 9:23:23 AM EDT
Interested in your opinions on the best parts to build an AR.  I've never put an upper together and want to get this right the first time.  I'm certain that I want a reliable, but lighter than factory trigger; a 16" barrel; and a collapsable stock.  Thinking RRA, Bushmaster, or Oly receivers.  Beyond that, nothing much in particlar.  I'd like to know the good, bad, & ugly before I buy.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Do a search, or just starting reading the threads in this section.  This question is asked quite often, and there is no point in repeating everything that has already been beat into the ground.

If you have a specific question that you can't find, feel free to fire away.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, and if you can't find an answer to your question, create a new topic.

Bushy, and RRA have a good rep. Oly seems to be spotty, and, based on the lower I have, isn't in the same league as RRA, Bushy, Stag, Mega, Ameetec, DPMS, Lauer, Superior Arms, etc., etc.

Welcome to the boards

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If you plan on building your first one. Get a model1sales.com kit. It isnt something that is very good but it comes with everything but the lower. I Say it isn't very good because people say it isn't i happen to like mine alot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Spend money on the right tools first.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless you just want to build it all it's easier to buy a complete upper thats been test fired. A stripped lower, lower parts kit and stock assembly is all you'll need to assemble. This way the only tools you'll need is a punch set and little brass hammer. Ameetec lower with DPMS parts kit and Cav Arms upper worked great for me. There is a special wrench for installing part of your stock assy, but I built a rifle and don't really know if you need it or not.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Unless you just want to build it all it's easier to buy a complete upper thats been test fired.  

Its usually cheaper to buy the upper assembled as well.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top