Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2005 6:38:32 AM EDT
www.del-ton.com/detail.aspx?ID=48

Would this be an okay economical varmint barrel? I am helping a buddy put together an upper. I have a tube that i think will work-this is hbar profile? right?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't something like this fill the role of a varmint barrel a little better?

To each his own, but that HBAR with a standard FSP doesn't exactly make me think "varmint rifle."
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
It'll work fine...a 24" bull barrel will be VERY heavy.  

Unless you're gonna be working at 400 yards or so, the loss of muzzle velocity between the 24" and the 20" shouldn't hurt you too much, and I've got a Model 1/ER Shaw 16" HBAR that's a 1/2moa rifle with the right handloads.  

You don't *have* to have a 24" bull barrel for a vamint gun, honestly.  Whatever you get, Just bang the FSB off, and pop a low profile gas block on it, or a railed one, and you'll be fine.  

BTW, J&T can do you a 20" HBAR match barrel for $145 plus shipping.  

Model 1 has ER shaw 24" HBARs for the same price.  

Model 1 20" stainless bull barrels w/ 1:8 twist are $200, if you wanted something more along the lines of an official varmint barrel.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a DPMS upper with that barrel as my varmint gun.  Works just fine.  I get in the neighborhood of 3150fps velocity out of black hills 55gr FMJ reloads and sub-moa accuracy all day long.  Best groups for me out of this barrel are in the .3's at 100 yards and the barrel is heavy enough to hold the scope nice and steady for follow up shots.

If you're going to build a varminter, make sure your float tube is ventilated somehow---them hb's take a while to heat-up but when they do they take forever to cool down!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#4]
my best friend has a 24" DPMS bull and that thing can shoot dime size groups with 45gr winchester hollow points all day long.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=284890
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:43:10 AM EDT
[#5]
By 'varmint' do you mean prairie dog or coyote?  If it's for pdogs, I'd probably go with something even heavier.  Coyotes, that or something a little lighter.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, yes for coyotes. I wanted something that wouldn't be a really big pain to carry on a sling through woods and brush. I guess I could go to a 16," but he's a good sized guy I figure this'll be okay.

Thanks
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top