Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2005 3:01:42 PM EDT
I'm almost done with my second build but I have a quick question before I finish the job. The barrel alignment pin is not touching the back of the upper receiver. (see pictures below)
Is this a problem? I torque it twice to 32 lbs and removed the nut, it has not moved back at all. This is a used Bushmaster A1 upper and an unknown 11.5 with a 5.5 barrel which is only marked "5.56". The previous owner of the barrel said it had a headspace issue, it would close on a no-go gauge. Could an oversize barrel pin have caused that along with the "horrible accuracy" he experienced with it?

I can't remember if this is right or not. I remember my first build and the post that followed. "Boy did I F' this up"
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You're OK.  The pin is just for alignment, and really doesn't have to seat to the rear.

Headspace is a chamber bolt relationship, so the alignment pin has nothing to do with that.

If it measures with long headspace, I'd proceed slowly and with caution.  You never know what could happen.  I'd be hesitant to use this barrel, myself, knowing it had so many previous issues.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You're OK.  The pin is just for alignment, and really doesn't have to seat to the rear.
Headspace is a chamber bolt relationship, so the alignment pin has nothing to do with that.

Am I off in thinking that the chamber could be a little far forward with the barrel? If the pin/barrel moved back a bit more would this cure any possible head space issue?
BTW: The previous owner had an old bolt when he checked head space which might have also been a factor?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Am I off in thinking that the chamber could be a little far forward with the barrel? If the pin/barrel moved back a bit more would this cure any possible head space issue?
BTW: The previous owner had an old bolt when he checked head space which might have also been a factor?

The pin and chamber really don't have a relationship.  The pin is simply there for alignment.  Headspace is the relationship between the chamber and the bolt.  The barrel extension plays into this, but the pin is just a pin and cannot affect this relationship.

An old bolt can extend headspace a little bit.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, I get it now.
I'll check my first few rounds of brass carefully.
Norinco has the weakest brass right? Figure if it runs without problems on Norinco it should be good to go.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top