Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 6:59:00 PM EDT
I have no idea what this weighs, other than it feels like a toy comprared to everything else I own, with the exception of my Cav Arms carbine.

It's gotta be well under six pounds...unfortunately, I didn't have the $$ to get one of Vulcan carbon lowers.  

I had this Clark custom tube laying around, so I had it cut down to carbine length...kinda looks cool with the Ace tube stock.  

YHM threw me a curve ball, though.  That's the new gas block/front sight, which is clunkier looking AND heavier than the older style.  I may swap still swap it out...it'll save me 2 oz, iirc.  

That's a Model 1 barrel, for anyone who's intersted.  

The gun points great...I haven't shot it yet with this tube, but I did have it out over the weekend at an indoor range with a standard metal tube.  It's a tad lighter now...I think this tube is lighter than regular handguard and a delta ring, but like a dumbass, I forgot to weigh it before I installed it.  

Anway, it's very fun to play with something that's this light.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice have fun with your light weight.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Its freaky, but I thought freaky deaky was a term only applied to the ladies, so I can't back you on that part.

How was shooting it?

ETA-  Go get some 20 round mags for it!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:10:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice.  If it were my light weight build, I'd ditch the YHM front flip sight with the bayonet lug for one without one.  You'd save weight by ditching the lug, which you can't use anyway and you'd save on the mounting hardware weight.  I'd also bet there is a lighter BUIS than the #40, maybe the #40L or something like that.  When you're down that far, an ounce here or there means alot.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:12:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Its freaky, but I thought freaky deaky was a term only applied to the ladies, so I can't back you on that part.

How was shooting it?

ETA-  Go get some 20 round mags for it!!

It shoots great...a little more pronounced recoil due to the weight, and a LOT of "sproing" from the Ace tube stock, but the thing points so well and just feels so good that it all evens out.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nice.  If it were my light weight build, I'd ditch the YHM front flip sight with the bayonet lug for one without one.  You'd save weight by ditching the lug, which you can't use anyway and you'd save on the mounting hardware weight.  I'd also bet there is a lighter BUIS than the #40, maybe the #40L or something like that.  When you're down that far, an ounce here or there means alot.

I did go ahead and swap out the gas blocks/front sight combo...the older style was only 1oz lighter, not 2, but it looks much more streamlined.  It's a post ban style, so no bayo lug..I guess that's where I lose the oz.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you take a picture of the new setup with the Bushnell off and the iron sights flipped up?

Just if you get a chance.

TIA
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Can you take a picture of the new setup with the Bushnell off and the iron sights flipped up?

Just if you get a chance.

TIA

will do, when I get home.  

villagephoto just concocted some new bandwidth measuring scheme...I had to upgrade my service by another $1.25 a month, those bastages!  I was about to run out of bandwidth for the month.  

here ya go:

I popped the 40L on for this pic...I was hoping my YHM rear flip up would have gotten here today, but it didn't.  That's what's gonna be on here in the end.  Meanwhile I actually Loctited everything else last night, so I didn't want to undo any of them on the other rifles.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#9]
imageshack.us/

Just use what the rest of us are using that actually want our pics for free, and to show up reliably.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Fenian - that is one cool looking lightweight.  Nice job!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#11]
very nice
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Much, much better!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Take it down to the Post Office and have them weigh it for you.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I like it. Looks good.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:00:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

don't think I havent' thought of it!  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:04:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

don't think I havent' thought of it!  

Oh, and a tip of my hat to Carbineman, who did the first lightweight I know of with the Ace tube stock.  He used the Vulcan lower, and his came in UNDER 5lbs.  So, even though I didn't go with the Vulcan lower, that rifle was the inspiration for this one.  

I guess my only "innovation" here is the cut down Clark Custom tube, but I think it matches up with the tube stock to make it, like, tubular, man
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:18:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Mr Stoner would be proud.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Fenian,

ACE used to make a stock that looks just like what you have but instead of a standard aluminum buffer tube like yours, they used a "carbon fiber" tube.  They sold it without the foam sleeve so you could see the carbon tube.  It would look badass with your carbon FF hand guard.  Put the word out on the EE and maybe some day you will find one.

MadDog
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Fenian,

ACE used to make a stock that looks just like what you have but instead of a standard aluminum buffer tube like yours, they used a "carbon fiber" tube.  They sold it without the foam sleeve so you could see the carbon tube.  It would look badass with your carbon FF hand guard.  Put the word out on the EE and maybe some day you will find one.

MadDog

I know the one you're talking about...I thought they're still making it.  I ruled it out when I first decided to do this build, about 6 mos. ago, because of cost...it was like $179 or something like that.  

Thanks for reminding me, though...it would look cool on this one, and I had forgotten about that stock.  

EDIT:  You're right, they're out of production...they were $199

I'll keep my eyes peeled, maybe I'll see one when I can actually afford it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top