Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 6:45:18 AM EDT
Here is the thread from a previous post about headspace gages.
Headspace gauges in 5.56mm: bolt dissassembly?

I cannot find rebated rim 5.56mm GO and NO GO gages, anywhere on the Internet.  

I want to experiment with making a rebated rim 5.56mm GO and NO GO gages, so that headspace can be checked without having to disassemble the bolt, like the USGI FIELD gage allows.  I need a machinist who can put these gages in a lathe to rebate the rim.

I can include an extra GO and NO GO 5.56mm gages for the work involved.

I am thinking of one of the following gages from Brownells.  I prefer the Forster (bottom photo), because dealer cost is half as much as the Clymer.  Brownells does not show a dealer discount for Clymer.  I use Forster for my Garand and M1A builds without issue.

If anyone is interested in this, let me know.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:51:07 AM EDT
[#1]
A go gauge with a rebated rim may cause false readings. The bolt face may not be flat or perpendicular to the chamber. I have a bolt now that the face is two different levels across it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Why the need for the extra gages, when all the military uses is the field?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Military uses GO and NO GO gages, though not as extensively as the FIELD gage.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#4]
imo the field gauge would get you by but the others would make sure of it.

but if you really wanted to do it i would either contact steve@adcofirearms or the mad machinist mongo
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The military uses guages with rebated rims.  I'm sure there are some floating around for sale.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The military uses guages with rebated rims.  I'm sure there are some floating around for sale.

think youre referring to the field gauges
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:48:27 AM EDT
[#7]
The way I go it is that there is only a USGI field gauge because that is all the military needs. The military is not in the business of building firearms so they don't need GO/NO-GO gauges.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#8]
It is in the works.  I will post when done.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top