Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/18/2005 4:29:32 PM EDT
This is an ADCO DMM4 upper that I've refinished in Duracoat Tiger Stripe Brown.  Steve came up with the idea of a SS midlength that's 0.900 inches under the handguards in order to handle the heat.  This one is also fluted.  It's NOT one of the giffmann barrels that ended up not working out for a few small reasons.  This is a WOA barrel that Steve had made to his specs.  

I FULLY disassembled the entire rifle to do the duracoating.  NOTHING was taped off.  All three pieces of the forend were painted individually before assembly- the DC goes on super thin.  

I'll give a cookie to anyone who can guess the forend.  It will be covered by KAC panels when they come in.  

I've got Woodland Tan and Tiger Stripe Green as well.  Not sure if I want to add them or leave it as-is.

That lone 6-rib KAC panel was painted with a different paint at a differnent time- it's not DC overspray.

YES, I KNOW, THE PAINT ON THE OPTIC IS BAD.  IT WAS A TEST

**LOOK CLOSE AT THE HOLES IN THE FOREND THIS NEXT ONE- YOU CAN SEE THE FLUTES IN THE BARREL

This is a first Samco light mount with G2 and some old acrylic paint.  I've got it clamped around the tailcap so a twist of the front of the light will turn it on or a push of the button:
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]
That is good action right there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks stick, but are you referring to the duracoat or the cookie I'm offering for a guess on the forend?  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#5]
DD, yes.  you don't get the cookie until you tell me the model...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#6]
very nice !!! the bipod looks backward on some pictures  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I kinda like the paint on the optic.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:02:41 AM EDT
[#8]
that turned out good!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:15:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not a real big fan of ARs in anything other than black, but that right there is a great finish job.  I really like that.  Great idea fully dis-assembling to do the refinish.  It looks much more professional than the rifles I see that have just been sprayed over.  Looks like you took your time to do it right, and it paid off in the end.  I think you should do one in OD.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:23:04 AM EDT
[#10]
congrats on a job well done
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:40:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:44:25 AM EDT
[#12]
[Cartman]KICK ASS![/Cartman]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:46:00 AM EDT
[#13]
well thank you all for spending your night and early morning looking at my rifle.  Even more thanks for the comments.  I did want this to turn out right the first time.  Any part that is going to be sprayed needs to be sprayed completely, not just up to a surface edge.  I am absolutely sure that if you were to just try and spray the face of every part and let the new finish end at the 90 degree edges that it WILL erode from the edge and chip or peel away more easily than if the finish was sprayed over and arount the edges and cured as one solid coating.  think of it as shrink wrapping versus laying down a thin plastic film.  That edge can be pulled up but with the shrinkwrap, you have to cut into it somewhere to start the removal

Like I said, I've got two more colors sitting here with nowhere to go but on that rifle.  

The bipod does look backwards- it's legs are folded in towards the magwell, not tip of barrel.  I kinda like it that way sometimes.  If I am going to fire it without the bipod deployed, I can grab the magwell which is my preferred method anyway.  

Any guesses on what forend that is?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:29:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Daniel Defense 12.0 FSPM
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Daniel Defense 12.0 FSPM

Yes, that is what it WAS but Bravo Company has it right, down to the "T"

I cut about 1-5/8" off of the 12.0FSPM because I didn't like it extending 1/2" past the front sight base and it loooked like shit having cutouts so you could see the bayo lug but not use it.  F*ck that!  That last lug of rail on each side is not a full 1/8" and I beveled them to make it a little softer looking.  
I thought of getting a front flip up and cutting off only what would have extended past the flip up, but doing it this way cost $100 or so less

It's really not that hard to do and I'd recommend it.

Someone asked about the mag pouch.  That came out of a TacForce discreet carry case like the one's ADCO sells although savvy survivor has over a dozen sizes and all three colors with great prices.  

What kind of cookie would you like bravocompany?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What kind of cookie would you like bravocompany?

Mrs Field
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#18]
save the pictures then.  it won't be solid for long...

Mrs. Field's?  I'll see what I can do...

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#19]
ok.  here is your cookie.  It's a Mrs. Field's 12" Smiley Face Cookie.  

It's a special for this month only!!

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
ok.  here is your cookie.  It's a Mrs. Field's 12" Smiley Face Cookie.  

It's a special for this month only!!

www.torrenga.com/~jrybicki/MISC/83_250x250.jpg

LOL...I'm hungry now !!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#22]
whatcha think about doing something like this to add camo AND a coolness factor??

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#24]
or how about either of these

skulls:

DRAGON STRIPE???

OR, IF I PUT DOWN ENOUGH DRAGONS THAT THEY OVERLAP PARTIALLY, I WILL END UP WITH DISTINCT AREAS THAT CAN BE FILLED IN AREAS AS OPPOSED TO JUST SEPARATING UPPER, MIDDLE AND LOWER COLORS.  I CAN IN EFFECT MAKE IT LOOK LIKE GOOFY REALTREE WITH TWISTY LEAFY SHAPES IN BETWEEN THE DRAGONS...

I'M LOOKING TO GET SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE CAMOUFLAGE UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY LOOK AT IT.  WHEN YOU REALLY TAKE A LOOK YOU'LL SEE ALL SORTS OF STUFF GOING ON YOU WOULD HAVE NEVER NOTICED AT FIRST.

THE GUY THAT CUTS THE 5.56 INSIDE DECALS IS READY TO CUT ME A FEW "CAMO" STENCILS WHEN I LET HIM KNOW WHAT I WANT TO TRY.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I dig the skulls
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow, nice job. Looks so much better than most "Paint Jobs" I've seen.  I'll have to agree with exocet, I'm diggn the Skulls too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#27]
thanks.  i just figured, "why not put a little thought into a breakup pattern??"  I can't duplicate marpat, and besides, it's a little much for a rifle anyway.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Beautiful job, man. You're a talented dude! Thanks for sharing the pics.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Stang1 is cutting me the dragons right now.  I'm hoping his cutter can get the detal and if so, I will do a test with acrylics like I did before I used duracoat.  The Aimpoint (clone) is painted with acrylic paints.  They are very durable craft paints and don't come off very easily.  If you don't degrease and scrub too much before you paint with them, you can peel the entire paintjob off when you are tired of it.  It's not super durable and it doesn't come off like paris hilton's bra in a rich boy's bedroom but it's a decent mix of being easy to apply and remove.

thanks for all of the positive comments.

i've got woodland green and woodland brown still.  I might just end up painting grass on the side if the dragons and skulls are too much...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Yojimbo's rifle with his little logo in light and darker tans (sampled from his TD gear):

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#33]
thanks

if I had an FFL, i'd start taking orders!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Oh yeah, the skull are definitely cool!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#35]
The skulls are really cool!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Skulls are awesome!  How does a non-artistic person like me do that??

Thanks,

Shok
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#37]
just ask me and I'll do it for you via PS.  If you are looking for the the actual painting of the design on your rifle, I could do it but I cannot accept lowers myself.  I suppose I should look into it- my local FFL could accept a lower directly from you via USPS, but I'm not sure if he needs to fill out paperwork in order to let me have it to paint it.  I don't think he'd charge me anything unless he was forced to by law, which he probably isn't, but WOULD HAVE to call it in to hand it over to me.  

Maybe I should ask him.  I need to get a copy of his FFL anyway to buy an AK receiver.

I would have to send it to your FFL or he would have to send it to your FFL.

Anyone know the exact details?

I'm going to post a new thread to find out I guess...
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 10/15/2005 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#39]
youve wreck it, it now to nice to shoot.

BBQ ONLY gun  
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
just ask me and I'll do it for you via PS.  If you are looking for the the actual painting of the design on your rifle, I could do it but I cannot accept lowers myself.  I suppose I should look into it- my local FFL could accept a lower directly from you via USPS, but I'm not sure if he needs to fill out paperwork in order to let me have it to paint it.  I don't think he'd charge me anything unless he was forced to by law, which he probably isn't, but WOULD HAVE to call it in to hand it over to me.  

Maybe I should ask him.  I need to get a copy of his FFL anyway to buy an AK receiver.

I would have to send it to your FFL or he would have to send it to your FFL.

Anyone know the exact details?

I'm going to post a new thread to find out I guess...

So do you make up a stencil and then paint it on? I think that looks pretty cool. Now mind you I'm not into putting pics on my AR but yours has got me re-thinking my position. I would only do it if  I know it will turn out as good as yours did. I like to keep my rifle black with a dark gray dragon or skull pattern.  I think THAT would look sharp.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#41]
The neat M4gery up above with the gray skull on the black rifle is Yojimbo's.  

What you are saying about having a dark gray dragon or skull would look very nice.  On a satin black anodized AR, Colt Gray duracoat would appear just slightly lighter.  I added stripes of that color to the rifle you see above and they look black.  You'd end up with a design that would be almost unnoticable until you looked closely.  The rifle would appear black but have a design.  It would be sort of an opposite of the effect I was going for with the dragons- it would look like a tiger stripe/woodland camo and upon closer inspection, you'd realize the dark wavy stripe had detail and that it was a chinese dragon.  

Look closely at the picture I most recently added a few posts up- with the red brick in the background.  That's how it looked until last week.  The dragons and skulls on the previous page were never painted on the rifle.  I airbrushed all of that in Photoshop after I took a picture of my rifle after I added the tan Duracoat.  Maybe you already knew that, maybe not.

I'd like to start doing this on the side as a hobby and then for a little extra money possibly

So, as far as stencils go, I have none.  There is a guy who makes decals of the 5.56 inside like I have as my avatar who said he'd make me stencils.  It worked out nice even though he was selling decals with my artwork without my knowledge or permission.  A little bit of IMing and we both came to a nice understanding- he gave me a few decals and I didn't ask for anything other than a little recognition since he wasn't making much off of them anyway...

There is a guy on this board named symtex who wants me to duracoat his rifle.  I am still not sure on the details regarding shipping across state lines.  I don't have an FFL and I, or we, are not transferring any firearms technically speaking so we might be able to without one.  I have to check on it.  I am hoping it works the same as when you ship your rifle out to have gunsmithing work done.  Not all gunsmiths are FFL holders so there's hope...  Until I find out that I will have to get an FFL or it will at least have to involve an FFL, I'm hoping to not have to charge more than the cost of the paint and supplies.  I'm not a company and can't offer a 20 year warranty so I don't want to charge a ton of money in case something should happen.  I've only had great results so far but something's gotta go wrong sometime...
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 6:06:58 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
...I'd like to start doing this on the side as a hobby and then for a little extra money possibly...

Aside from the FFL issues with the lowers, I bet you'd get quite a few takers. All ya gotta do is post those pics on your ad.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Here she is now:

Link Posted: 10/24/2005 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#45]
thats really nice!!!

what did you use to get that pattern??
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#46]
I was just stroking it

Freehand.  

Thanks for the compliment!
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#47]
DUDE!...that is the most sweetest camo job Ive ever seen
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#48]
thanks lumpy!  It takes mad skillz
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:23:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Joseph, any fother thoughts on stickers or stencils for the flaming skull?  Or for the matter the 5.56 inside?  PM will be sent soon, if you don't mind.

Cool work, I like that look.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#50]
reply sent.  No word yet from the decal man
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top