Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2005 6:44:18 AM EDT
I'm looking for a new drill press.  I'm just using it as for metal working hobby projects.  Right now I'm trying to bore out a regular flash hider to work for a 40 cal barrel.  Is this a good press?

www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00922925000&tab=spe#tab
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is this a good press?

No, not really. Craftsman should be known as "Crapsman" in most cases. I don't know of anybody in real life that has bought a Craftsman power tool (especially a stationary tool) in the last 10-15+ years that didn't end up regretting it unless they just never really used it anyway so they never learned any better. Buy quality tools and they will be a lifetime investment.

Here's a couple of good quality basic entry level floor standing drill presses. Either one should serve you well well...

Delta 17-965 16-Speed 16-1/2" Floor Drill Press

or

JET JDP-17MF / 354169 Drill Press

Yes they are a little more expensive but over the course of the next 20-30 years, $100-$150 is nothing. Buy quality, buy once.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for those links.  The Delta looks like it has promise.  I'm not set on the price quite yet.  I wouldn't mind spending more if it was worth it.  Would I be better off just getting a mill?  What about Grizzly?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for those links.

No problem, you might be able to do better price wise somewhere else (or locally) but I just went there because I knew they carried both models and they have free shipping which is a very good thing when talking about big items like this.

The Delta looks like it has promise.

Both are good. You may or may not be familiar with Jet but their stuff is just as good and depending on where you shop, they are sometimes less expensive too. To me they are so close you can either pick based off of price, table style if you have a preference (Delta's is square, Jet's is round) or just flip a coin. I have the Jet only because I found one new for $200!

I'm not set on the price quite yet.  I wouldn't mind spending more if it was worth it.

Good. While I understand that money is always a consideration, tools are one of those areas where 98% of the time you get what you pay for and rarely will you be disappointed spending a little more for a considerably better tool.

Would I be better off just getting a mill?

That I can't answer for you because it will really depends on what you plan to use it for? I'm more of a WW'er than metalworker so my decision was easy. If you are looking to mostly mill machine parts and occasionally drill something, maybe you would be better off with a mill? Maybe some of the resident 'smiths\metalworkers can comment on this?

What about Grizzly?

They are kind of hit-or-miss. If money is really tight I would chance a Grizzly before a Craftsman. Grizzly does have a very good CS reputation. If you go that route, I would check run-out on the spindle as soon as you have it setup (actually good advice no matter which one you go with)

Good luck
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top