Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2005 3:21:09 PM EDT
I have an old A1 buttstock that I tried to install in my lower receiver. When the screw is tightened there is a  gap between the buttstock and the receiver.   Is the buffer tube too long for the receiver? Do I need to trim down the nub that fits into the recess in the receiver?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you using the spacer and screw for an A2 stock?

Wild Guess.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]

You're not using the A2 stock spacer and screw are you?  The A1 stock doesn't need the spacer and uses a 5/8" shorter stock screw...

ETA... beat by 3 seconds... doh!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
No spacer plate was with the parts kit. How long is an A2 stock screw as opposed to an A1 stock screw?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:00:28 AM EDT
[#4]

The A2 screw has an OAL of 1.125" with a threaded length of 15/16", the A1 has an OAL of .5", a threaded length of 3/8"... 5/8" difference...

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:32:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
using the A2 spacer could cause this but using the A2 screw would tighten the stock down just fine. the only problem with using the A2 screw is found when you try to lock the bolt open.

how big is the gap Gorto?

The gap is right about 1/8 of an inch.

Looks like the screw is the shorter A1 type.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I would make sure the tube is screwed all the way into the lower with the buffer retainer pin and spring in place correctly. Then I would make sure the piece on the bottom of the stock will fit all the way into the hole drill in the back of the receiver. Then I would make sure the takedown spring is being pushed straight into the lower and not kinked at the last little bit. I would make sure the end of the buffer tube where the screw goes in is flat and does not have any rises/burrs  on it where it had been removed before. And if all else looked goood and it still would not go on I would pull the bottom swivel screw out of the stock, remove the back portion with the trap door and look on the back of  the butt plate for something holding it off.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I checked out all of the potential issues out and after finding none replaced the stock on the rifle.  Carefully worked the stock up to the sticking point, and smacked the buttstock hard against the floor. it seated in properly.

How dumb is that? Talk about making a mole hill into a mountain. Thanks to all for the help.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:21:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top