Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2005 9:46:12 AM EDT
I'm  assembling my lower and have run into an issue with the safety catch. I cannot insert it into the receiver. It looks like in the cocked position the end of the trigger isn't  low enough down to let the safety through. Any ideas? Is it a bad trigger or (hopefully not) or a misdimensioned receiver?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Just to be sure, you did this right?

With hammer cocked back, insert from left side of receiver, selector pointing up in the 'fire' position.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just to be sure, you did this right?

With hammer cocked back, insert from left side of receiver, selector pointing up in the 'fire' position.

Yup, that is what I tried.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#3]
There were some triggers out that would not let you put the safety in with the trigger in place but that was a while back. I had to drop the trigger in and let it lay in with no pin then insert the safety.
Also some brand lowers will let you remove the trigger from the lower with the safety in place and some that will not.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There were some triggers out that would not let you put the safety in with the trigger in place but that was a while back. I had to drop the trigger in and let it lay in with no pin then insert the safety.
Also some brand lowers will let you remove the trigger from the lower with the safety in place and some that will not.

The lower parts are from SARCO so God knows when or where these parts are from. So it could be an older one like you described. The trigger on my Bushmaster looks different than the SARCO trigger FWIW.

I think I will pull the hammer and trigger pins and attempt to put the safety in first.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]

May or may not be able to put the trigger in after the safety.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The edge of the safety is quite possibly hitting the top edge of the trigger rear end.  Happens on a couple of my pieces.  Push the hammer down w/your thumb as far as it will go, and hold it down while you push the safety in.  I've even used a screwdriver to push the trigger aasy down while I slid the safety in.

Alternatively, assemble the safety before you put the hammer and trigger assys in. It'll take a bit of maneuvering to get the back end of the trigger under the safety, but it's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Success!

Pulled the hammer out of the lower. The trigger was low enough to allow the safety catch through.  Reinstalled the hammer and did a function test. Works perfectly.

Thanks for the help, going to post a few new problems with the front takedown pin and  the buttstock.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I was going to tell you to pull the hammer out.  I had to do it that way just the other day.  

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top