Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 10:15:28 PM EDT
What kind of luck have people had with the DPMS bolt/carrier combo, and what a good price would be?  I am thinking about using either a DPMS or a LMT one for my next build, but the LMT stuff seems a little scarce at the moment.

Also this may be a dumb question, but forgive me as I am still a semi-n00b, but does the bolt have anything to do with weather I can run 5.56 as opposed to .223, or is this all taken care of in the chamber?  My ammo stock is *unortunatley* all XM193 and I would like to keep it that way.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a DPMS bolt/carrier in a recent build. I got it for $100 (FTF from RB Precision here in IL).

It is not machined as smoothly as my RRA or M&A parts bolt/carriers I have. It was also really coarse when it was in the wrap, but now that I have a couple hundred rounds through it, it seems to have loosened up to a normal tightness.

I ordered a CMT Bolt/carrier for my recent build. It might show up tomorrow so I might be able to report back with my findings on the quality of it tomorrow night.

As for .223/5.56, it's all in the chamber. 5.56 has more room to allow more variations in ammo for extreme reliability in a military firearm. .223 is a commercial round and is chambered tighter and is not generally suitable for 5.56 use. .223 can be used in a 5.56-chambered barrel, but 5.56 can't be used safely in a .223-chambered barrel.

Hope this helps.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:15:05 AM EDT
[#2]
i have had no luck with their bolts
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I normally get RRA bolts/carriers, but I had to order some stuff from Midway, so I ordered a DPMS.  

I have a DPMS .308...they use a SS bolt and carrier...either way, it's really nice.  

I ordered a plain jane one for my latest build...hope I don't have any trouble with it.  I'll let you know later, it's getting here today.  Won't be able to shoot it, though...I'm putting on a carbon fiber tube, and it's off being whacked down from rifle length to carbine length now.  I should get it back next week, so I can finish this rifle and weld my dame safe shut.  I've just re-configured 5 rifles lol...and I'm broke.  Sold $1300 worth of stuff and STILL spent more than I budgeted.  Oh well, ever since I gave up hookers and blow 25 years ago, what ELSE is there to spend my money on?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
No probs with mine in my first build---using a Bushmaster barrel-----had it over a year now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, mine looks fine so far...nice and smooth, and much better quality finish than the 2 Model 1 bolt/carrier assemblies I've had.  Plus, it's not shrouded...I don't care for those.  I *was* hoping that this would come with the solid pin DPMS puts out, but it's got the old style in it.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmm, sounds like sort of a mixed bag.  For those of you who had problems with yours, what kind of finish did you have?  I was hoping for a chrome finish, because if I end up getting a phosphate one I will probably just go with a Bushmaster instead.  But since my rifle now is an off-the shelf bushy, I was hoping to do something different for the next one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine is the standard one. No chrome except on the inside.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#8]
DPMS bolt-carrier assembly as supplied in their Kitty Kat  upper circa Jan-1999,  not the first problem here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:15:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hmm, sounds like sort of a mixed bag.  For those of you who had problems with yours, what kind of finish did you have?  I was hoping for a chrome finish, because if I end up getting a phosphate one I will probably just go with a Bushmaster instead.  But since my rifle now is an off-the shelf bushy, I was hoping to do something different for the next one.

Mine was chrome finished. The problem I had was that the firing reating pin hole wasn't drilled evenly through. I used to have the hardest time pulling the pin out and an even harder time re-inserting it during cleaning.  Plus the pin was getting a little banged from the firing pin I believe.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#10]
The show last weekend, I had the chance to handle a few DPMS carriers.

The machining was rather rough on the units I handled.  Seems like the machinists didn't spend enough time finishing the carrier.  The finish was rather rough and lots of machining marks on it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I *was* hoping that this would come with the solid pin DPMS puts out, but it's got the old style in it.  

Don't you mean the old style solid pin?  Since that was, in fact, the first type used in the AR.  The split pin is the "new style" (though it's pretty old by now).

"Glory O, Glory O, to the Bold Fenian Men"
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I *was* hoping that this would come with the solid pin DPMS puts out, but it's got the old style in it.  

Don't you mean the old style solid pin?  Since that was, in fact, the first type used in the AR.  The split pin is the "new style" (though it's pretty old by now).

yep it is the older style.......... i wonder why they went away from it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep it is the older style.......... i wonder why they went away from it.

Cheaper to make a cotter pin compared to a machined pin.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top