Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 6:40:37 PM EDT
I'm thinking of purchasing a match grade trigger but don't wkno what to buy.

I like a curved trigger but should I get single or two stage?

Why would I choose either one?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you want it for?

Competition?  (Jewel)

Survival Rifle?  (RRA)
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you want adjustments (murphy's law) or do you want it to be non-adjustable(will stay where set)? How much money do you want to spend? What do you plan for the rifle to be, SHTF or NRA Highpower range queen?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not hijacking the thread, but I've wondered the same question -- so, curved, drop in for a SHTF (dependable) rifle.  If this is outta' line on someones elses question, pls disregard!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]
i have never grown fond of adjustment screws in my ar since i usually wring them out pretty good.

i have used the woa two stage rock river and its great for the money

now i use teh chip mccormick two-stage curved but these are in my precision rifles
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm really looking to build a nice varmint rifle with an excellent trigger.  So I guess that wouldn't qualify as a SHTF rifle.

I think i want a chip McCormick, non adjustable, curved trigger, but don't know if I should get a single or two stage.

What's the difference between single versus two stage?  Why one over the other?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm really looking to build a nice varmint rifle with an excellent trigger.  So I guess that wouldn't qualify as a SHTF rifle.

I think i want a chip McCormick, non adjustable, curved trigger, but don't know if I should get a single or two stage.

What's the difference between single versus two stage?  Why one over the other?

Thanks

the two stage has a take up(first stage) and then the break(second stage)

the single stage just breaks

which do you need/prefer?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I would prefer a single stage.  The take up feels wierd to me.

Why would you want a two stage, what are the benefits?  Or is it purely just preference?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think I would prefer a single stage.  The take up feels wierd to me.

Why would you want a two stage, what are the benefits?  Or is it purely just preference?

Thanks

imo you are able to estimate the breaking point better, i use it in my precision ar's

but yeah it boils down to preferrence
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:36:06 AM EDT
[#9]
The two-stage trigger gives you a reasonably light second stage for better accuracy.  But, the cummulative weight of both stages makes accidental firing less likely. For example, a High Power Competition Service Rifle must hold a minimum weight of 4.5 lbs.  A common set up requires three lbs. to take up the first stage. Then 1.5 lbs additional pull fires the rifle.  After shooting a Service Rifle for several years, a two stage is natural for me.  So, I put a Jewel on my varmint rifle.

If the two stage is awkward, use the single stage.  I have no experience with the McCormick. But, JP makes a good single stage trigger.  Just use care if you adjust the pull weight down until you gain some experience.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm in the process to of building a Match Grade AR, for my wife.  Have the Rock River Arms NM uppper, parts kit, and but stock all on the way.  

Her USMC rifle has a Jewell trigger in it, I've read good and bad about the Jewell... is it worth the $200 for the Jewell trigger?  She seems to know how to adjust the Jewell already and has a hacked up allen wrench in her purse.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to jump in. I have been thinking about replacing my factory trigger  in my LMT. Is the LMT 2-Stage adjustable or it set and what is the trigger pull weight?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]
WOA tuned RRA Trigger was suggested to me on this board a week or so ago. I had mine in about 4 days and it's a very nice 2 stage trigger, slipped right in and for the price it can't be beat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
WOA tuned RRA Trigger was suggested to me on this board a week or so ago. I had mine in about 4 days and it's a very nice 2 stage trigger, slipped right in and for the price it can't be beat.

these are great too!

something that started me liking two-stages, now i run cmc though
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I put a J&P Rifles single stage trigger in my varmint AR, I couldn't be more pleased, breaks clean as glass!  

www.jprifles.com/TriggerParts.html
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks everyone, I think I will go with the 2 stage.  I like the idea that it is less likely to go unexpectedly.  I'm sure I can get used to the feel.

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#16]
For many years I shot NRA High Power with both M1's and AR-15's. To tell you the truth after tens of thousands of rounds I never could notice a difference, I am sure you will be happy. If you practice it will come as natural, I also shot smallbore with a single stage trigger in the "off season" and it was no different in my mind. Once you pick up the gun if you know it well enough your mind will adjust.

Rich
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top