Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2005 1:05:34 PM EDT
I have begun Purchasing parts for my Ar build. I would appreciate it if you could help me decide what parts to purchase.

Lower and upper receiver:  Mgi modular lower and upper.

Lower receiver parts kit I had initialy intended to purchase the kit made by Colt but besides being difficult to find I'm not willing to pay that much. What kit should I buy?

Trigger: I will probably get a Jewell two stage trigger unless there is something that is better.

I  have already ordered a Magpul m93b and miad full grip kit.

I will buy an ABS barrel probably in 458 socom and a cheaper barrel in .223

The buis will be a gg&g mad rear with tritanium and the flip up front.

I am not sure what bolt and carrier to get. What are the best performing ones?

miscellanious: dfender, jp rear tensioning pin.

Any and alll help will be appreciated
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have begun Purchasing parts for my Ar build. I would appreciate it if you could help me decide what parts to purchase.

Lower and upper receiver:  Mgi modular lower and upper.   why?

Lower receiver parts kit I had initialy intended to purchase the kit made by Colt but besides being difficult to find I'm not willing to pay that much. What kit should I buy? bushmaster, cmt, rra whoever

Trigger: I will probably get a Jewell two stage trigger unless there is something that is better.i have no comments on the jewell since i have never used it. i like chip mccormick

I  have already ordered a Magpul m93b and miad full grip kit. i like the magpul stocks

I will buy an ABS barrel probably in 458 socom and a cheaper barrel in .223 i would think vice-versa?

The buis will be a gg&g mad rear with tritanium and the flip up front. not my choice but this is your build, i would go troy rear with pri front

I am not sure what bolt and carrier to get. What are the best performing ones?cmt,bushmaster, colt, young, les baer

miscellanious: dfender, jp rear tensioning pin. why would you need the tensioning pin?

Any and alll help will be appreciated

it would help if you stated what you wanted to do with this rifle. precision? hunting? plinking? range fun? what?

im not to keen on the modular upper lower, if anything the lmt monolithic rail would be my choice of upper.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I plan on using the rifle for hunting and range fun. Oh I had seen the tensioning pin when I first started looking into ars and thought it was useful on all ars didn't realize it was made for sloppy receivers.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you are spending a lot of money on things you don't need.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:12:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think you are spending a lot of money on things you don't need.

A Big +1
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Any suggestions on what to buy or what not to buy will be appreciated, as I have no experience with Ar's and this will be my first.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you plan on doing with it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I plan on using it for a bunch of stuff namely hunting, range fun, home defense.
Update I just ordered a Cmt/ stag Parts kit, the D fender, Badger Ordnance Gen 2 Tac Latch with charging handle, CMC single stage flat trigger with Kns pins.

Will soon order an Abs .223 barrel from the group buy, and will probably get a Lmt enhanced bolt and carrier.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I got the parts I ordered in today surprisingly fast the stag parts kit looks of really good quality. I will probably order the rest of the parts soon although I am gonna have to wait for the receivers. Are the enhanced bolt carriers worth the extra cost? If so which one should I get?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#9]
imo stick with the regular shrouded carriers.

cmt
rra
bushmaster
and the others that work

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top