Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2005 7:22:03 AM EDT
Will THIS GREASE work??

It's the closest thing I could find locally....I tried Advance Auto, AutoZone, and O'Reilly....

ETA:  Or would THIS be better?  I coud probably track it down at a hobby store......
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are talking about using it for barrel installation to an upper, I think that either would be OK.  The main thing you want to avoid is galling.  The auto moly grease may be too heavy for use on trigger engagement areas.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah....I'm just gonna be using it for barrel installs....I'd like to use something that I can get locally and not have to order when I need or run out of it, and I can get the Valvoline grease locally.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Try this. I have used it on numerous builds with great results.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Try this. I have used it on numerous builds with great results.

Mike

I'm definitely steering clear of anything with graphite in it.  The aluminum (receiver), graphite (grease), and steel (barrel nut) is a bad combo......
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Good call on staying away from the graphite.  Either grease you had selected in your first post should work well for barrel install.  The hobby grease would be my choice to try on the trigger surfaces.

I use this moly slide lube for both barrel installations and trigger engagement surfaces and I've been very happy with it.  I've done several builds and barely made a dent in the volume of the grease.  A little goes a long way.

CD
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good call on staying away from the graphite.  Either grease you had selected in your first post should work well for barrel install.  The hobby grease would be my choice to try on the trigger surfaces.

I use this moly slide lube for both barrel installations and trigger engagement surfaces and I've been very happy with it.  I've done several builds and barely made a dent in the volume of the grease.  A little goes a long way.

CD

Yeah.....I thought about ordering something "proper" but I didn't.....and now all my parts are in for this build and I don't want to wait on another order for grease if something I can get locally will suffice.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#7]
55Kingpin,

That's the exact grease I used to install my Sabre barrel and LaRue 9.0.  It worked great and cost only $4 for a tub!  I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Yojimbo:
Sweet that's what I got.......

You will soon be seeing pics of my build as well .....although it basically looks like yours
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:26:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Why not graphite?  Been using it for years in alum engines to prevent problems and have had none, including marine and automotive applications.  What specifically is the problem you alude to?  Thanks, John
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
55Kingpin,

www.valvoline.com/images/products/productpages/bottle_bot_VV632.jpg

That's the exact grease I used to install my Sabre barrel and LaRue 9.0.  It worked great and cost only $4 for a tub!  I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

same stuff I use... only I got it for 3.29 $ at Schucks
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:47:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why not graphite?  Been using it for years in alum engines to prevent problems and have had none, including marine and automotive applications.  What specifically is the problem you alude to?  Thanks, John

dissimilar metals are the cause of corrosion.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I need clarification too. All the moly greases I've found are very dark gray/black in color... does this mean they contain graphite ? I am reinstalling a barrel, and the grease that was on there before is white in color (a bit like white lithium grease). Is the black moly grease OK to use on barrel nuts ?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
55Kingpin,

This is the grease I bought as well. Got it at Advanced Auto for $3.29. I think this is enough moly grease to do several thousand barrel changes. I bought this after reading this thread. You can get about 1 oz. of moly grease from Bushmaster for somewhere around $8.00. Too expensive if the Valvoline moly fortified grease will work.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#14]
That is just what to use.  Or similar by other companies.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#15]
What color is it ?????
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
55Kingpin,

This is the grease I bought as well. Got it at Advanced Auto for $3.29. I think this is enough moly grease to do several thousand barrel changes. I bought this after reading this thread. You can get about 1 oz. of moly grease from Bushmaster for somewhere around $8.00. Too expensive if the Valvoline moly fortified grease will work.

another +1 for the valvoline grease.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#17]
another +1 for valvoline.  But mine came in a tube (like for a caulk gun).  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top