Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/8/2005 9:54:11 AM EDT
I recently purchased a Wilson heavy barrel for my A2. It came with the FSB installed but not pinned. I also ordered the taper pins at the same time. When I tried to put the taper pins in, they would not go. I worked on it pretty hard, ruining one of the pins in the process and still they would not go. They seemed to stop about halfway. I was very careful about lining up the holes and starting from right to left. Is there some trick to this or something that I have not done?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming you put the pins in small end first?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I started the small end first.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Then I'd guess you have the wrong sized pins for your holes - or the holes were drilled for straight pins and not taper pins.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I did not mic the holes, but they look like the ones on the left are smaller than the ones on the right. I am like you, I think that they are too big. I was wondering if they are supposed to be a standard size, or does one get "pot luck" on the size of the pins?
I had access to a real armorer, but he had to relocate out of state and I have to kind of gut this one out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:10:52 AM EDT
[#6]
The barrel came with a FSB that was drilled but had no pins installed ?

I would say either the tapered holes weren't drilled deep enough so you will need the correct taper pin bit/reamer to fix it or they are drilled for straight pins either solid or roll.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone, perhaps, know what the taper pins are supposed to mic out at? I have found a source for the taper reamers, but need to know the "for sure" size of the pins.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, I hate to drag this back up, but it may help someone else. The problem was that the taper pin holes had been started, but were not finished. In other words, more reaming was needed to fit the pins. I miced the pins and determined that the dimentions fell into the range of a 2/0 spiril taper pin reamer. I used this reamer and seated the pins with no problems today.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm kind 'of a tool junkie, so could you post a pic of this reamer.

Thanks,

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I cannot, at this time, post a pic of the reamer. I will, however, try in the next couple of days to respond to your request.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top