Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/5/2005 5:39:06 PM EDT
Well I need some advice. I am now getting back a 20in Colt 1 in 7 barrel that I traded, but because it had no barrel extention, the member I traded it to doesn't want it (no problem you-know-what-your-name-is, I FULLY understand, I don't like getting things that I don't want either ).

So now the question is, How hard is it to put a barrel extention on a used barrel? Is it even worth my time to mess with it, or should I write it off as a learning experience? Are there any gunsmiths in cental OH that can make it whole again without charging me as much as a new barrel would cost? Any input is appiciated, I'll try to post pics when I get the barrel back
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
There can and might/will be the issue of headspace.

Not something I would try myself.

HTH.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#2]
That barrel will make someone a nice tent stake.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Headpsace is not your primary problem. The main concern is the 'timing' of the barrel extension upper receiver index pin to the gas port. If the index pin is properly aligned with the gas port when the barrel extension is torqued down then the barrel will be useful. If the index pin is not properly aligned, more likely, then you will have to change barrel extensions until you find a BE that will properly align with the gas port. Only then headspace will be a concern. The best way to do this is to find a gunsmith or armorer that can do this for you. It is NOT easy and it is NOT a WECSOG type of project. A gunsmith.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top