Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 7:06:17 PM EDT
Guy's,

I've got a bushmaster target model with a 20" barrel.

It's a A2, and I want to make it a flat top, so what I'm wondering is what's the best type of free float tube to put on it, and since it will be a flat top, where can I get a FSB that is cut down.

Of course I could go buy a new upper and put this one aside, but I think it would be cheaper to change out the upper reciever, and forearm.

I'm just a bit concerned about head space but since the bolt /barrel will be the same I don't think it's an issue.

Any tips.. and what's the best type of tube & where can I get the cut down FSB.

Thanks,
Spot
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#1]
the FSB that is on your barrel is now part of an assembly

When it was assembled, holes were drilled thought the FSB and thru the edge of the barrel

getting a new FSB to use the existing tapered holes in the barrel
requires Jedi magic

one option would be to grind the existing base down
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Doc,

That explains alot!  Cool..

Hmm.. now it's either get a new barrel also OR just buy the new upper.

I'm thinking a second upper is the way to go, and if I really don't want the old A2 upper I could always sell it.

I don't think I could use a bolt on fold down front sight if I cut it down so if I want flexibility I really need to get a new barrel with that type of modular front Sight Base.

Thanks!  that's exactly what i needed to know.

Spot
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:41:01 AM EDT
[#3]
there are also FSBs that are held on with set screws

they are not bayonet charge proof
but they do work well

for a FF tube i like the PRI model
www.adcofirearms.com/sprbuild.cfm?page=build
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top