Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2005 11:01:30 AM EDT
I have a stock Bushmaster Varminter with a decent 6.5-20x 44mm scope on it.  Would like to put back up iron sights, and I read through the big BUIS faq.

However, what is the best way to attach BUIS (front sight) to a stock varminter?  What is a decent gas block clamp? (Is this the best way for the front sight?)?  

After that, can you rate in terms of quality/price?  I would like to say sights suited for 100 yard bullseye, which would hopefully allow for 2-400 yard large targets.

Thank you for your expertice and experience.

p3

[not interested in co-witness since scope is magnified]

I currently use the stock risers and medium rings.  Should I go with high/extra high rings that allow a see through [for the iron sights]?  What would be a good recommendation for rings here?  Warne?  

Or I could go with quick detach rings to just quickly remove the scope to switch to irons.  Irons only used for either competition or in case the scope is damaged and the shot must be made.

=)
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#1]
if the gas block on your varminter is the same as the one shown here then thats bushmaster's low profile gas block/filed down fsb.

now if thats the case the front sight you need that would not require you to do much work other than clamping it on is this one which is also available from bushmaster themselves.

all of their b.m.a.s. product line is yankee hill manufacture so what i would do is get the part # and look for brightflashlights in the industry forum and send him an email/im and see what he can do for you.

great guy to deal with and has pretty good prices to boot.

but if you want a totally different front sight then what you can do is buy a front flip sight like the pri,yhm or what ever and install it yourself or send to someone. most require removal of the gas block you have on there which could become more trouble than it's worth cause the pins sometimes dont wanna come out.

as for the rear sight you would need to get some sort of flip sight so that it would fold away under your scope.

be sure that whichever one you choose it is low enough to fold underneath the bell of the eye piece.

either the troy, arms #40l come to mind

some sort of quick detach rings(arms or larue) would help in quick removal of your scope so that irons could be accessed.
i would not try and raise the scope high enough so that the irons are able to be used cause that would greatly effect the cheek weld when using the optic. if you have flip/folding sights you wont need to do this.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#2]
forgot to mention...........
this should be in the optics forum.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I went with the PRI Flip Up Front Sight and ARMS #40 on my latest build, the sight picture is great and both are easy to use.  If you don't mind removing your FSB the PRI is and excellent option and very very easy to install.  The ARMS #40 is a little high for your scope rings so you may want to consider the low profile version (though I have no experience with it).  The horizon long distance sight on the 40 sounds cool, but it is virtually useless because of the way your eye blurs it and the 200-300 aperture into one.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I went with the PRI Flip Up Front Sight and ARMS #40 on my latest build, the sight picture is great and both are easy to use.  If you don't mind removing your FSB the PRI is and excellent option and very very easy to install.  The ARMS #40 is a little high for your scope rings so you may want to consider the low profile version (though I have no experience with it).  The horizon long distance sight on the 40 sounds cool, but it is virtually useless because of the way your eye blurs it and the 200-300 aperture into one.
www.hunt101.com/img/309679.jpg
www.hunt101.com/img/310516.jpg
www.hunt101.com/img/310515.jpg
www.hunt101.com/img/310514.jpg

those are some really good pics of irons!!

you should post them in here so everyone can see
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
eklikwhoa, thanks for reminding me about that post -- hunt101 killed my old photos so I replaced my original post on page 9.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#6]
You're right this could go in optics but that low profile gas block made me unsure.

Anyone have measurements for 'X rear buis measures Y tall when folded down' so I can know that it will fit under/not interfere with the rear bell on my scope?

Thank you eklikwhoa for the links and info, I will make good use of it (saved for purchase later this month).  I do not want to send the rifle anywhere for work so I will go with the BM front sight unless I hear any major objections.  Like you said, I will try to find part # and contact the guy and go for the Yankee Hill branded [if even marked differently!] version.

p3

any more recommendations/concerns for the rear iron would be appreciated.  =)
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're budget conscious, Yankee Hill makes a front clamp on gas block/flip up sight that you can find here in the EE from several vendors...it's $20 or so $$ cheaper.  

The ideal setup to me would be to just get an ARMS 40L or similar low profile rear BUIS, leave it on all the time, and then get a throw lever mount for the scope that would put it high enough to clear the rear sight when it's folded down.  That way, all you have to do is throw the levers on the scope to remove it, and flip up the front and rear sights, and you're done.  

That's the setup I have, and I'm quite happy with it.  My most accurate carbine also happens to be my SHTF rifle...so I want the ability to use a scope if I ever have to, plus it's nice just being able to take one gun if you're just going plinking, but *may* need a longer shot every once and a while.  Works for me, anyhow.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top