Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2005 6:05:35 PM EDT
OK I got a lower and just ordered a LPK but requested the grip to be left out. I have seen grips advertised all over the place but which ones should I seriously look at. I am looking to build a carbine length rifle with an A3 upper. Not quite sure on the first upper but probably either a 6.8mm SPC or a .223.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Tango Down Battle Grip or Mag-Pul MAID.  The Mag-Pul is th elatest greatest.  In addition to storage, which the TD also has, the MAID has interchangeable backstraps.

-Hershey
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you want fit, or function?

The TD grips suck.... IMHO.  I bought one on all the hype and was disappointed.  Sure, the fact they have the best designed watertight storage is a huge plus....  but they are slick, and way too skinny.

IMHO, the hogue grips are still the best, tackiest, form fitting grips out there, especially for the money.

The magpul's are nice.... but I want something that is tough, fits, and functional.  That means I will go with A2, A2 stowaway, or Hogue.  If only the TD fit better, or the Hogue had real storage.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The TD grips suck....  they are slick, and way too skinny.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the TD, Ergo and A2.
I might give a try to the MIAD though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on the MagPul MIAD

I love mine, it is VERY well made and have more customizable features than you'll ever use. Plus the plug in the bottom is well-fitted and holds quite a bit.
It feels just like a handgun grip, and fills the hand very well. A great buy for 44.00
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the Hogue. The Miad looks to be a great grip but the Hogue fits my hand perfectly so I say if it aint broke dont fix it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:36:27 AM EDT
[#7]
i like the samco g-27
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:38:55 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 for Hogue
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:06:52 AM EDT
[#9]
TD for me.......I'm not sure about being "slick" maybe older versions were, but I've never had a problem with current production ones.  Your best bet is to try and feel 'em before you buy.

I do have some Hogues, they are nice, but the TD fits me just as well and I like storage on certain rifles.....YMMV.

Here's and idea:  If your hands are large enough.....you could get the TD (if you need storage) and then put a Hogue Handall around it....or some bicycle innertube (ala homemade ranger band).  I'm sure someone here has already done this......

ETA: for clarification
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I've tried the Samco G27 and it's not too bad.  I like the Hogue better.  I've got the Hogue on 3 of my ARs.  If you want storage you can order a plug for the grip from Midway USA.  I did that on one of mine, on another one I took the plug out of the G27 and use it in the Hogue.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've tried the Samco G27 and it's not too bad.  I like the Hogue better.  I've got the Hogue on 3 of my ARs.  If you want storage you can order a plug for the grip from Midway USA.  I did that on one of mine, on another one I took the plug out of the G27 and use it in the Hogue.

Plugs in a hogue WILL fall out, and dump whatever you put in there when you least expect it.  Seen it a bazillion times.  People crying cause they lost their parts.  Sure - it doesnt happen on the bench... but carry and shoot your rifle all day in the outdoors.... and I bet your plug wont return home with ya.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plugs in a hogue WILL fall out, and dump whatever you put in there when you least expect it.  Seen it a bazillion times.  People crying cause they lost their parts.  Sure - it doesnt happen on the bench... but carry and shoot your rifle all day in the outdoors.... and I bet your plug wont return home with ya.  

Even the one from the G27 that has a tightening screw?  It seemed pretty secure.  At least as much so as when it was in the grip it was designed for.
(To be honest, I haven't had the guns out since I put the plugs in)

Thanks for the heads up FALARAK
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Even the one from the G27 that has a tightening screw?  It seemed pretty secure.  At least as much so as when it was in the grip it was designed for.
(To be honest, I haven't had the guns out since I put the plugs in)

Thanks for the heads up FALARAK

I dunno about that one - that might be ok.... never tried it.  I have just seen the plugs that are rubber, that snap into a hogue fall out... many times.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Is this a trick question?

A2 of course!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#15]
My cheapo Falcon A-2 Sto Grip works for me.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A2 of course!

Funny how that ends up on all mine as well...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A2 of course!

Funny how that ends up on all mine as well...

Funny how the A2 is the only grip that is uncomfortable for me!  They put that nub on the frontstrap in the wrong place.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I put a plug in my Hogue. First shot it was downrange. Now I leave it in just for looks but seem to forget to take it out before it goes downrange every time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
i like the samco g-27

+1. A2's stink for my hands. That's just me. You have to try a few, see what fits your hands.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I would suggest you try some grips that fits your hand.

The A2 doesn't fit me too well, I prefer the A1 type.

I'm currently using A1, Les Baer Custom Ultimate (A1 type) and Magpul MIAD grips.

I'll be getting a Hogue for my next target/ long range rifle build.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a MIAD on both of my AR's, and when I build another one (and another one, etc.), I will continue to put MIADs on them.  It is the biggest, most comfortable grip I could find for all season shooting in the midwest.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

A2 of course!

You guys and your new fangled shit.
A1 all the way.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I need a grip thats bigger cause I have huge hands and for me to get the best trigger pull I have to put my thumb on the back of the grip like a thumbs up. Otherwise I'm pulling the trigger with the second joint in my finger...that results in inconsistant trigger pulls.

Any grips tailored towards bigger hands?

Any one else have this problem?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Another vote for Magpul MIAD. The Hogue grip is very comfy too!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Hogue works Best for me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Yup, A1 grip.  Nub is in the wrong place on the A2, and I wouldn't trust a stowaway grip.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the Ergo grip and it fits fine and feels nice in my hands. The Hogue is also a great grip, fits like a glove .
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#28]
For carbines &/or shorties I like the TD Battle Grip which is a bit narrower but I find that to be a plus when wearing gloves... it sort of feels like I have more control over the weapon if that makes any sense? For my SPR I have a Sierra Precision SPR grip, which is interesting.... It's big and would definitely work for somebody with big hands. It makes obtaining a correct grip and trigger control very easy. Only downer is it won't work with an ambi selector. I may try taking a dremmel to it though. Anybody here done that?
Just my 2 cents.
Matt
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Hogue all the way
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone know where to get an A1 grip at?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:56:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Anyone know where to get an A1 grip at?

Send me an IM with your address and you can have one of mine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#32]
HOGUE!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#33]
TD with AGrip and all slickness is gone!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#34]
MIAD.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Hogue!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Can you make the MIAD big enough for very large hands or would the Sierra Precision SPR grip be the way to go?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I use Hogues and Ergo, I have the ergo mostly because hogue doesnt have a coyote tan grip.  I've heard that the newer TD battle grip isnt as slick as the old style...any truth to this?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#38]
magpul miad
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#39]
+1 for Tango Down Battlegrip.

I have added the TD to my vote because I just got a factory installed free Battlegrip on my new LMT Defender 2000 M4 type carbine (7/ 2005 build date).

Ref. I'm also using A1, Magpul MIAD and Les Baer Custom Ultimate grips.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Ergo .
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I have tried the TD, Samco g-27, Hougue, SPR and Ergo. I have Ergo's on all mine. They fit me the best. Grips are a personal thing.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I love the Hogue. The Miad looks to be a great grip but the Hogue fits my hand perfectly so I say if it aint broke dont fix it.

+1
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top