Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2005 11:59:26 AM EDT
I refinished my lower with Norrels tan and put it in the old oven...
Things were going fine so I walked away.  Temp shot way up.  When I took it out, it was much darker than the parts I had done earlier.
Will too much heat darken a part?  If I redo it and watch the temp better, could I possibly get the color to the other shade?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, excessive heat tends to darken the color.  It shouldn't have any adverse effects other than cosmetic.  I would hit it with another coat to get the color back, re-bake and keep a close eye on the temperature.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Its imperative that you use an oven thermometer, and not the one on your oven (get a dial thermometer and drop it in).  

Respray it, cure it, and you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks....
I do use the thermometer, however, it stayed good while I watched it so I walked away...That will teach me!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]
If one coat does not lighten it sufficiently, you can do more coats.  It is better to do several thin coats than one thick coat.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Its imperative that you use an oven thermometer, and not the one on your oven (get a dial thermometer and drop it in).  

Respray it, cure it, and you should be good to go.

And going with what Stickman said, I had an issue that I do not know anyone else to have had.

I turned my oven on and the thermometer was perfect, my oven seemed dead on.

Then I stuck the parts in.

I kept the thermometer in the oven with the parts and the temp dropped after having the door closed for a while.  The only thing I can think of is all the metal soaked up part of the heat.

Anyways, before putting in the parts, turn the oven on for a while and keep the thermometer in it.  Its the only way to know if your oven is on or not.  I noticed at first the temp seemed way off, but it seemed to level itself out over time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Something that is worth remembering is that you don't want to check your oven temperature while you are curing.  The correct way to check the temp is to do it without anything in the oven, and after the oven has been on for 10 minutes or so.  

The oven needs to warm up, and sit for a bit.  THEN you will get an accurate reading.  This is much more important in older ovens that it is brand new ones.  My old oven was way off, but the new one is dead on.  I still check it every few times to make sure its correct, but it is much better than the old one which was off by 30 degrees or more.

I hate to see a project get derailed just because of something simple that could have been avoided.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#8]
The respray and correct temp bake worked like a dream!!
Thanks....
Now I gotta get a pic....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Thankyou for the follow up, believe it or not, I try to keep a mental tab on what problems people have had, and if I was able to help.  There is enough bad info floating around where I want to make sure I am not part of it.

Now post some pics!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#10]
yes, post pics !!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#11]
The higher the temp the darker it gets. Until it's black!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The higher the temp the darker it gets. Until it's black!

You are also increasing the brittleness (is that a word) of the finish at that point.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Here are a couple of pics...
I'm no photographer but I try!
I left the sights as is because I don't know what I'm gonna end up with.
This was my attempt at a low cost build...blemmished LAR upper, $90 barrel....
Opinions, as long as they are some what kind, are welcome!!!

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I think it looks fantastic, I love it!  

I've got to ask what the total cost of the project was.  With the blemished LAR and a $90 barrel, I'll bet you came in pretty cheap, and even if you didn't, the weapon looks great.  

LAst question, what type of barrel did you get, and how did you steal it at that price?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#15]
That's an outstanding rifle!! Congrats!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks good!

Really like how you left the pins and controls "black".  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Overall not as good as the deals I've seen you get Stick!
Barrel believe it or not is a Colt.  I bought it and an unk mid length for 180...
Bolt/carrier/charging handle/front sight were a gift. Stock and grip 65. New YHM rifle length forend from Bravo Company, Lower was brand new from another build and parts kit...so 90, 50, 65, 130 (?), 120, 45 (LPK), so about $500 and the first time I built everything...including installing the barrel!
I'm very pleased with it so far.
Thanks for the positive comments.
Geez, the pics really show that we need some rain here!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#18]
$500 dollars is outstanding, the only way I am able to get my deals is the large amount of weapons work I do, and being able to deal with a large amount of people.  

For a straight out new build without having done this for awhile, I would say you have one of, if not  the nicest and cheapest build I've seen.  

Job very well done.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I think it looks great.  I really like the look of the tan.  Thanks now I need another color.  I swear you guys, my wife is getting tired of all the little boxes with liquid coming in.  Its automatically "What color this time?"Great looking rifle.  GS
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#20]
very nice
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#21]

I think it looks great. I really like the look of the tan. Thanks now I need another color. I swear you guys, my wife is getting tired of all the little boxes with liquid coming in. Its automatically "What color this time?"Great looking rifle. GS

Spoken like a true Norrell's Junkie!!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top