Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2005 11:03:28 AM EDT
My FH is permanently attached by silver soldering.  Anyone know of a paint (or equivalent) that will cover it up?  It is a dull grey color which contrasts with the parkarizing of the barrel and FH.  This rifle is by no means a safe queen and will most likely take much abuse so I'm not looking for perfection here.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#1]
You don't need paint, just a bottle of cold blueing.

Just use something to degrease the parts, and hit the grey parkerized area with the cold bluing to tint the parts back to the normal black color (there still parkerized, just grey due to the heat).

Super Blue® Liquid Gun Blue

www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

P.S. when installing the FS with paste silver solder, I will hit the grey area with super blue as soon as they cool down.  This saves me from having to degrease the parts since the heat already did it for me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Degrease, pre-warm, hit it with automotive header (hi heat ceramic) spray paint.  It will look decent and be better than krylon or other sprays.  If it were me, I would do everything up to the handguards.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You don't need paint, just a bottle of cold blueing.

Just use something to degrease the parts, and hit the grey parkerized area with the cold bluing to tint the parts back to the normal black color (there still parkerized, just grey due to the heat).

Super Blue® Liquid Gun Blue

www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

P.S. when installing the FS with paste silver solder, I will hit the grey area with super blue as soon as they cool down.  This saves me from having to degrease the parts since the heat already did it for me.

does this really work that well?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd question whether or not any bluing product will change the color of silver solder and its residue.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:08:26 AM EDT
[#5]
In my experience bluing will not affect silver solder.

I had a Romak III which could attest to this.  It had some real sloppy soldering including a big
splotch on the underside of the barrel.  None of the comercially available products did anything to it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd question whether or not any bluing product will change the color of silver solder and its residue.

I would be drinking coffee while you were questioning it, and in the background yelling, I told you to use something else.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Norrels moly resin does an excellent job mimicing park finish.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#8]
It really does.  The few times that I've helped people "cure" this unsightly issue, I've used Norrells.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top