Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2005 8:13:01 AM EDT
This has probably been covered ad nauseum on other threads, so please feel free to pass on a link.

I'm in the planning stages of a RECCE build, and I'm considering options for the stripped lower.  Being a newb, I'd like to know the limitations/advantages of the various receivers (i.e., Brand "S" doesn't work with a Magpul stock...).  Let's ignore rollmarks and brand loyalties for the purposes of this discussion and focus on physical and finish differences.

Many thanks in advance for your feedback!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Any good forged receiver will perform the same duty. All it does is hold the LPK. There is not a ton of stress on it at all. IMO go Stag or Mega. Both are excellent quality and can be had for under $100.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This has probably been covered ad nauseum on other threads, so please feel free to pass on a link.

I'm in the planning stages of a RECCE build, and I'm considering options for the stripped lower.  Being a newb, I'd like to know the limitations/advantages of the various receivers (i.e., Brand "S" doesn't work with a Magpul stock...).  Let's ignore rollmarks and brand loyalties for the purposes of this discussion and focus on physical and finish differences.

Many thanks in advance for your feedback!

Yes it has been but here's the readers digest version...

All of the current forged lowers will work just fine. The only functional differences are these...

Some will accept a RDIAS, some don't. 99% of us will never have ~$10K to buy one so what difference does it make.

Current Colt lowers use a different size FCG pins. (.170, normal is .155). Almost every parts house and aftermarket trigger have a .170 pin option so again, what difference does it make?

Some lowers have a Teflon finish which won't take most common finishes (if you wanted to camo it). If you are planning on painting it, what difference does it make?

In short... get whatever forged lower you want based off of whatever criteria floats your boat (price, brand, roll mark, etc)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used Eagle Arms, Ameetec, and Mega lowers for builds.  I didn't have any issues with any of them.  I hear the Stags are nice too, but something about that deerhead  just doesn't look right to me.  the finish on my DPMS .308 was the best I've seen on any AR type rifle...it's teflon, iirc, and it has a satiny look to it.  

Personally, I'd just try to get the one that's cheapest, or easiest to get.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say get one in black, with all the holes in the right spot.  Those are the best ones.

Personally, I avoid anything teflon coated (MEGA, DPMS, Ameetec and maybe a few others).  I have had better luck with good old fashioned hard coat anodizing (Bushmaster, Stag, newer PWAs, Colt, RRA, etc.).  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd say get one in black, with all the holes in the right spot.  Those are the best ones.
...quote]

Yep; that's the one I want!

Was considering Stag, RRA, or LMT/Lauer, but wasn't sure that there were any significant differences.  IIRC, there was a post on the MSTN-custom Stag lower thread regarding difficulties fitting a Magpul stock...  These are the sort of things I'd like to know about.

Thanks guys!  Keep 'em coming.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:16:47 AM EDT
[#6]
magpul has said that they upgraded their buffer tubes to work with basically any lower reciever now. but i dont know how much of that holds since i like and usually buy only bushmaster lowers.

i do have a few oddball lowers that i have never had any problems fitting any part into them.

bushmaster
dpms
double star
eagle
ameetec
mega
rra

none of these have given me any problems
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Personally, I avoid anything teflon coated (MEGA, DPMS, Ameetec and maybe a few others).  I have had better luck with good old fashioned hard coat anodizing (Bushmaster, Stag, newer PWAs, Colt, RRA, etc.).  YMMV.

Good advice from a wise man.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Is the teflon avoidance based soley on paintability?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is the teflon avoidance based soley on paintability?

Not really.  It's a tough finish but can chip off if hit just right.  It's a personal preference based on those things.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top