Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 5:30:26 PM EDT
I want to remove my FSB. I have a carbine length YHM rail system that extends all the way out to the FSB.
How do I tap out the pins in the FSB without damaging/bending/impacting the barrel?
Thanks,
JLS7
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:09:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I removed my FSB from my rifle with a LaRue FF rail recently. I just placed a piece of 2X4 under the FSB, while making sure that the 2X4 didn't block the pin that I was driving from coming out. If you have help from another person, you can place a 4mm socket on the underside of the FSB directly under the pin that you are driving, and drive the pin down into it. Just don't try to support the rail itself or the barrel out past the FSB, as you may bend something.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#2]
also make sure the pins arent tapered

if one side is larger in dia. than the other tap on the smaller side

sometimes it needs more of a whack then a tap
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, sounds easy enough.
Jls7
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Squirt some Kroil or liquid wrench on the pins...let it soak for a couple of minutes.  

Knock the pins out from the left side, in case they're tapered.  A lot of manufacturers use straight pins nowadays, but sometimes it's hard to tell.  Once you get them out, you should be able to tell if they're tapered..if they are, bang 'em in from the right side, obviously.  Actually, if they're tapered, they'll just drop out once you get 'em started.  

Brownell's make a bench block (large plastic hockey puck like thing) that's perfect for this.  You can use a 2x4 as mentioned above, but if you're gonna do more than one or two, get the bench block.  

I've had some pins come out without any trouble, but the two OLY barrels I had they were a bitch.  I generally use a nail punch to start 'em with, then switch to a regular punch.  Give the hammer a pretty good whack...some folks even recommend a 2lb hammer to do this with.  

You may have to use a rubber mallet or a plastic hammer to get the FSB off once the pins are done...I've run into a couple like that.  Usually, though, a slight twist back and forth with do the trick to get it started, but don't forget the gas tube is still in the receiver at this stage, so don't go overboard.  

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top