Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2005 11:56:54 AM EDT
What size threads are the buffer tube threads?
I've got an ACE SOCOM stock that I'm putting on a lower.  Problem is that I lack about 1/2 turn for it to be in the right position to use and also capture the buffer retaining pin sufficiently.  I've worked it back and forth gaining all I can get out of it, lightly used a strap wrench to no avail; knowing when to stop before Poindextering it...priceless.
My next option is to get the correct die and chase the threads and maybe cut some new ones, just enough to get it to work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#1]
They are sold in the Brownells catalog or you can find them on their web page.  WTF, here is the direct link.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#2]
1 3/16-16 for my future reference
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#3]
If someone hasn't told ya'll yet... you guys are the best.  Thanks

$60  Good Lord!!!; that's quite a chunk! Might be what it takes to git 'er done
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#4]
DAMN, I did not look at the price.  That hurts!
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#5]
worst part is breaking thru the anodize if it is a coated part.  The anodize is wicked stuff if applied properly. It can be cut... but dulls tools fast.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Try VICTOR machinery exchange. i've bought all my gun taps and dies from them lots cheaper and very nice. by-the-by most are under special threads and they even have threads not listed in catalog. just bought 14-1.0 left hand tap and die and the were less than any other place by 30%-50%. don't forget our machinist supply friends thats where Brownells gets thier stuff just from cheapest bidder for quality part then they have to make  someing from the deal. http//www.victornet.com and phone is  1-800-723-5359.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks; a lot of good info.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top