Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/17/2005 12:28:56 PM EDT
I had messed up my lower receiver a few weeks ago as referenced in this thread...
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=242081

I finaly got my Norells Moly Resin and refinished the rifle.  I wont go into exactly what I did, suffice it to say I did what everyone else has and followed those directions (I followed Stickmans write up to the T, even using the same airbrush).  

My rifle had been pianted with Krylon, been used for a long time, droppped a few times, dragged a bunch more, dropped in a bucket of Castrol Super Clean, and just abused.  

I was going to do this huge write up with lots of pictures detailing the whole process, but I am too excited about the way this turned out, I just have to post it now.

So here are the before and after pictures....

Before pictures again.

And after (to give you a persepctive of inside light vs outside, the pictures with the natural wood are inside, the pictures with the cardboard and white wood are outside)....

I messed up on a few parts.  Mainly from the thing falling over when I was refinishing it.  It has nothing to do with the Moly Resin or the process.  They were all my mistake.   For my first time, I think it turned out awesome.

Its not perfect, but damn does it look better then before.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]

ROCK ON!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Hot damn! That looks awesome!
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]
That turned out nice...  I definitely am going to try Norrells when I do an 80% lower.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
great job. Can u touch up the norrel once u heat it ? I have few scratches on mine that I need to refinish as well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
kick ass!!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#6]
congrats on one kick ass job.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
great job. Can u touch up the norrel once u heat it ? I have few scratches on mine that I need to refinish as well.

Norrells touches up very well. Just degrease, recoat and bake.

Nice job, Dace!
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#8]
WOW wonderful job!
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#9]
That did come out very nice. Congratulatoins.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I finaly got my Norells Moly Resin and refinished the rifle.  I wont go into exactly what I did, suffice it to say I did what everyone else has and followed those directions (I followed Stickmans write up to the T, even using the same airbrush).  

Its not perfect, but damn does it look better then before.

I think it looks great.  The minor imperfections where it fell over can be resprayed the next time you are working a Norrells project, just degrease and spray over it.  Either that or just leave it as a bit of character, which is what I would do.

After having finished everything, is there anything you can think of that should be added to the pre-ban AR15 Refinishing Guide?  Feel free to email or IM me, or just post any comments here.  I'm always interested in the opinion of people who are doing it for the first time, as their input will help others the most.

Thanks, and once again, very nice job!
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That turned out nice...  I definitely am going to try Norrells when I do an 80% lower.

I reccomend anodizing the lower before applying Norells.  Anodizing the aluminum sort of case hardens the aluminum.  This helps in keeping the FCG pins from pushing or upsetting the pin holes in lower.  The first 80% I did I ruined the holes for the FCG pins when I was test dry firing the lower.  I ended up with elongated pin holes the really messed with the function of the disconnector sear and the hammer.  I ended up using JB weld to fix it but it looks like crap and I dont trust it.  I've been thinking of making bushings and reaming the pin holes oversized to accept them for steel on steel contact.  The next one I'm going to do I'm defenatly going to hard anodize.  There is alot of good info at this palce.....www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Norrells touches up very well. Just degrease, recoat and bake.

Nice job, Dace!

do I still need to heat up the part first ?
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Great job. Moly resin is hard to beat!
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#14]
The only odd thing I have experienced is that the finish is a little rough.  It feels more like parkerizing then a smooth paint finish.  I think either 1.)  I put it on to thick right away or 2.)  I had the airgun too far away.  or maybe both.  It still looks good, it just feels like really fine sandpaper.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The only odd thing I have experienced is that the finish is a little rough.  It feels more like parkerizing then a smooth paint finish.  I think either 1.)  I put it on to thick right away or 2.)  I had the airgun too far away.  or maybe both.  It still looks good, it just feels like really fine sandpaper.

Mine does that too. So after a refinish I take a rag and some laquer thinner and rub the surface. You'll see a very minute ammount rub off but this is just the stuff that didnt stick. With time and use it seems to slick up a little too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:48:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The preheat forces the spray to dry immediately to prevent runs and wet spots. I would recommend preheat every time.
Pete
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow, what a difference a re-finish job does.  Good Job!  
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The preheat forces the spray to dry immediately to prevent runs and wet spots. I would recommend preheat every time.
Pete

thanks
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice Job, Looks Great.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#20]
YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:37:50 AM EDT
[#21]
+1
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks like a damn awesome job.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#24]
i am spechless ...

better than new hug.gif
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow.  Great job!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Glad to hear this story has a happy ending!

Nice work!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Where would you find a gun tore up like that? I'm sure you got it for cheap....unless you yourself victimized that rifle...and then the question would be WHY WOULD YOU DO SUCH A HORRIBLE THING!!  hehe that seems like it would be a fun project..

-edit-

Oh durr, read your link. I need to stop scanning through threads so quickly. So lemme see if I understand this correctly. Was the receiver rough like that before whoever painted it with that black stuff? And so in the bucket it just revealed the actual condition of the anodizing?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:40:15 AM EDT
[#29]
nice job, looks good.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Where would you find a gun tore up like that? I'm sure you got it for cheap....unless you yourself victimized that rifle...and then the question would be WHY WOULD YOU DO SUCH A HORRIBLE THING!!  hehe that seems like it would be a fun project..

-edit-

Oh durr, read your link. I need to stop scanning through threads so quickly. So lemme see if I understand this correctly. Was the receiver rough like that before whoever painted it with that black stuff? And so in the bucket it just revealed the actual condition of the anodizing?

The receiver had been anodized.  Is my understanding that the anodizing also has a dye included with it to turn the receiver black.  I bought that receiver brand new from the manufacturer and it was perfect, never a problem.  The black part of any AR receiver is not the anodizing itself but a dye.  When I put the reciever in the bucket of CSC, it wuickly stripped the finish (which was not paint) and left only the anodizing.  I am sure if I left it in the CSC longer, it would have begun to eat away at the anodizing as well.

You can tell the anodizing is left because its a dull flat greyish appearance.  The pure aluminum underneath is much much more shinier.

Hopefully that answers your question.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#31]
This just goes to show, for those that want to "re-anodize" that with the Norrell's you can do this at home, yourself, with no experience, minimal costs, and not have to deal with the problems of shipping a "firearm".  And if you do upper and lower together, they have to match.  

Even with the few boo-boo's he had, the receivers still looked good.

If the surface is degreased well, everything done as per instructions, the finish is quite durable and will hold up for a very long time.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top