Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/23/2005 8:40:44 AM EDT
I want to build my second AR variant. My 1st was an RRA standard A2 20" gun (post-ban) that I ordered as a seperate upper and lower and put together myself.

I now want to either tackle building my own or finding the parts mostly put together. Whatever is the absolute cheapest solution that will get me a decent rifle. I don't care about scopes and tactical crap hanging off everywhere, I just want a functional M4gery with a short barrel and colapsible stock.

Anyone?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Get you a Stag stripped lower and a 16" rifle kit from Del-Ton or JT.  I have a Del-Ton, shoots as good as my Bushy and cost hundreds less.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Links?

Price?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#3]
well for the cheapest "tackle" m4gery, buy yourself a stag lower, and a model 1 kit, you will have to do a little more than push the 2 pins together like last time, but is should be a pretty cheap option at 550.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#4]

well for the cheapest "tackle" m4gery, buy yourself a stag lower, and a model 1 kit, you will have to do a little more than push the 2 pins together like last time, but is should be a pretty cheap option at 550.

+1 exactly what I did for a cheap m4
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Do I need any special tools to put together the lower? I have basic tools, just no specialty stuff.

What about the upper? Is that what you mean by a "Model 1 kit"?

I see I can get the Stag stripped lower from AIM for $100, where can I get the cheapest parts kit and (I am assuming) complete upper?

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#6]
as stated model 1, you have been a member here for 2 years and you havent found the linky to building a lower?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#8]
you just had to make it that easy for him didnt you
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#9]
get a set of roll pin punches of brownells, that will save you time and keep you from damaging the pins with a hammer. Other than that everthing is easy.

Model 1 is a brand that sells AR15 kits, so is del-tron J&T and many others. A complete AR kit comes with the complete barreled upper, stock with buffer and spring, and the parts kit.
When you order one off the internet you can usaully choose different parts (some may cost no more, some may add to the total cost)like if you want an A2 stock instead of collapsable or a 20inch upper instead of a 16inch or a different grip.

www.model1sales.com/subcats.cfm?Category=01&storeid=1
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys.

As for not finding the link on how to build a lower, I've never needed to so I wasn't aware of it. Sorry I don't live on the internet like some people apparently do.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#11]
common sense isn’t the equivalent to living on a site, I only average 3 posts per day, and most of those are used answering stupid questions for people to lazy to look for themselves. Today will have to account for a weeks worth. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
common sense isn’t the equivalent to living on a site, I only average 3 posts per day, and most of those are used answering stupid questions for people to lazy to look for themselves. Today will have to account for a weeks worth. Thanks

Well in that case thank you so much for your insight and wisdom. But more importantly, thank you for taking time out of your day to answer my stupid questions because as you already know, I am too lazy to find the answers for myself.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#13]
wow
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Check the EE... plenty of good deals on uppers and stripped lowers there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I had tons of questions when I first started out, dont worry about what other poeple think are stupid questions. Have fun on your build and good luck.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm, I thought this was a "forum" for the exchange of information. Guess not. I had a lot of questions, but I better not ask them here for fear that someone somewhere on the forum or the internet, or in a book might have already adressed a similar question in the last 5 years. I will just search the internet, buy a book, and keep on lurking. Would not want someone to confuse my interest with lazyness.
John
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#17]
No need to take offense, there are plenty fo people we wouldn't agree with in the world, the internet is an easy way to run into some of them.

If you are willing to buy parts as they come available on the EE, or other places on sale/ clearance, you can do much better than a kit price.  Much much better.  If you are in a hurry, you will pay a lot more.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Enjoy your build.  Take your time doing the assembly.  The proper tools do help, but you'll hear from lots of people who have used much less.  The EE is a good place to get some of your parts, keep your eyes open & look for quality parts.

CD

Could actually type a few words this time, since I'm not at work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I read everything on this site for months and I was nearly afraid to make my first post.  I didn't come asking for a list handed to me but I did come looking for info.  I'm happy to help when I can, but I really don't have the time to prepare an entire list for everyone who asks and who likely can do it themselves.  There are alot of regulars here that feel the same way.

Go to the EE, go to New Parts, search the vendors and find the best prices on what you want and buy them.  I could sit here all day and tell you exactly what to buy and if/when you put it together, it may not be anywhere near what you wanted.  You really need to read alot here before diving in and building something on somebody else's list.

As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Sulaco,

To give you an idea, I built this carbine for a tad under $300.  It is all a matter of being in the right place at the right time.  I couldn't build another at this price, but I'll have fun trying.  I've got a few other which have also been built on the "super cheap".

ETA-  I traded off the aluminum buttstock for a plastic one.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:31:35 AM EDT
[#21]
thank you mongo, that is all i meant, i ask allot of very elementary questions as well, but i like i look and see if it has already been addressed, at least within the last few days. good luck with your build, you should build a few, that way you will at least have some understanding on how this fantastic platform operates.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:38:04 AM EDT
[#22]
If the upper you get doesn't have a buttstock on it and you can live with a 4 position collapsable stock..... check out thesportsmansguide.com I got my 4 position collapsable stock from there for $30 bucks! Works at least as good as the one that came with my M1S M4gery build. Looks the same n everything.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:28:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Use AirSoft parts.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Use AirSoft parts.

Thats probly you're allowed to have up in MD isn't it? hehehe
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#25]
There are a bunch of people who have had poor results with the super cheap stocks.  Spend the extra $15-20 for something decent.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
There are a bunch of people who have had poor results with the super cheap stocks.  Spend the extra $15-20 for something decent.

I figured what the heck, its only $30 bucks if it breaks or somethin, it was a cheap lesson, if it works out fine for a long time, I saved some cash....time will tell if its a learning experiance or a money saving one.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top