Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 1:26:02 PM EDT
Had a barrel begging for a place in the bunker and decided to start building it at 8:30 pm so the photos are a little nasty as all of mine are.

The barrel is a 24" Saber barrel, 1/9 twist and stainless with a very nice finish and target crown, barrel demension is .750 forward of the gass block and .958 under the free float tube, with a .223 chamber.

I started off with a Flat top upper from Tonys uppers, maker unknown. I am not into name brands so I take what works.

After a dry run and checking that all is Kosher with fit and finish I lube the barrel extension with Brownells action lube and slide the Stainless barrel on the upper and lube up the barrel nut and upper receiver threads with more Action Lube until it threads easy and fits with no resistance.

I tightened down the barrel nut to 50 foot pounds and this time I did do the 3 times tighty and loosey since the barrel nut was very stiff and it smoothed out fine.

Then I mated the gas block and gas tube, on free float tubes like this you can add the gas tube prior to placing it on the barrel and then slide the entire assembly on. Making sure the barrel nut holes are aligned properly to provide unrestricted access to the uppers gas tube portal, then I secured the gas block buy the two Allen head screws so to secure it well.

These gas blocks are alloy and east to strip the threads so lets not be to hasty on excessive force, just tighten them down enough until you feel resistance.

Now you spin on the free float tube and adjust the jam nut to secure the FF tube, did I mention that the tube comes already threaded for a bipod?

Now it rains!

Back to the shop and to finish the job.

Finished it and test fired the upper, it shot a group the size of a dime at 80 feet for a good first firing.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I like nice looking rifle,
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thanks!

Shoots pretty good, frtloop85 placed 4 rounds in a dime size area and she loved the 2 pound trigger.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

Shoots pretty good, frtloop85 placed 4 rounds in a dime size area and she loved the 2 pound trigger.

Fun fun fun fun fun......

I think I know what I wanna do for my next build.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tightened down the barrel nut to 50 foot pounds and this time I did do the 3 times tighty and loosey since the barrel nut was very stiff and it smoothed out fine.

So Jedi AR builder types don't do this every time?

Not every time

The threads on a FF tube barrel nut will squall like a hit cat if you do not do this with lube.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#6]
And to think I moved out of VA, with all you gun nuts down there.  I sure am missing it now.  Great job.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:23:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
And to think I moved out of VA, with all you gun nuts down there.  I sure am missing it now.  Great job.

Moved???? dang nab it

Thanks for letting a slot open and lett'in all those dang liberals in.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#8]
This AR shot nicely, I put 4 rounds into 1 hole which ended up being about 1/4" wide total width at 25yds off the wobbly-ass tables at the NRA Range.  So if you could measure the center to center of each round it had to be about 1/8" or less.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top